xs400 Café from Sweden. First bike build!

koffski

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

First of all i would like to apologize for my poor English. As a Swede i am more comfortable speaking than writing..

Now that we got that covered. This is a build-thread for My fist bikebuild ever.
I picked up an xs400 Special -82 for about 150£ the summer of 2008.

The first years i rode i everywhere. Sun, rain and even snow. Nothing could stop me :D
Loved the bike!

Then at 2011 i started school again. Full time study. Left no time for the bike nor the money. Might ad i had two cars and another bike sucking up my money =/

The bike sat in my garage until i picked it out and dusted it of the summer of 2013. I immediately knew what i wanted to do! It was time to go café :thumbsup:

Starting with a pic when sitting dusty and sad in the garage
full

Then draining the oil and removing all lose items.
full

Then time to star the cuttin =)
full

After watching several "How to´s" on Youtube i encouraged myself and started to make a fiberglass seat. Hours of shaping later the actual seat had it´s first layer of fiberglass.
full

Yes i know, it´s a bit bumpy and uneven. But I'am satisfied =)

Got myself a couple of clip on´s and then started to figure out where to put the speedo.
The tacho will be sent to the shelf for some other project.
full

Then came the winter. And with it the move to our new garage. So once again the bike was left standing around collecting dust :(
Until a few weeks ago. The first bursts of sunlight hit our little town and the spring-feelings where overwhelming! Time to finish of that bike :D

So i found myself sitting and surfing around on the old interweb. And soon packages started to land at my front door.

First a pair of HAGON rear dampers accompanied bu RAASK rear-sets was mounted.
The rear-sets i orded was made to fit the XS650. But it was easy to make some new mountingpoints for the plates =)
full

very happy with the feel and angle the sets provide.

Time to wrap up this first post witch got a bit bigger than I thought, but hey :bike:
At the time. i am reassembling the engine with new seals and giving it a thorough cleaning. I have been sanding my fingers of trying to even out the seat. Got some new handles och a smaller speedo. More to come and my goal is to have it done buy May 1 this year!

signing of with a picture of the as it sits today.
full

Please ask if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer you the best i can.

Best Regards

:) sounds like a good story

welcome to the forum! get those pics up so we can take a look!

welcome :)

looks like you are on the right track.

I go on the swedish italian 50cc site for my Gilera, you swedes love those bikes

Thanks guys! =)

Really happy to be here. lots of positive people!

I have been thinking about dropping the front end a bit. maybe a inch or two.
Gonna get some paint on the frame this week and then start the assembly again =)

Can't wait to see more.

(If you drop the front end take lots of pictures so I can see how you did it :)

You can drop the front end very easily by letting the fork tubes through the top clamp by a couple of inches,then re-tightening the clamps.:wink2:
I dropped mine by about 2.5 inches by this method :thumbsup:

After a very long year the build is back up!
I've redone the wiring and stripped it down to minimum.
After some problem the bike started up nice for the first time in four years.
Will be linking a video later.

still having some problems whit the front brake. i have to pull really hard on the lever for it to work. might be the cheap brakecylinder i got from Ebay..

anyways, the bike is up running again and i cant wait for spring to arrive! =D

sweet! im building one in Norway, exact same model! looking forward to see your build come togheter:) God Speed

full

As it stands right now. I am thinking about the tank. This is another tank i bought and smashed with the hammer for kneedents and then sanded down and left it outside.

I kinda like the look it gives to the bike..

In an attempt to set up the carbs to work with the open pod filters and 2-1 exhaust disaster struck. Without any warning the bike just died.
Turned out it was the camshaft sprocket :doh: No more riding for a couple of weeks. Waiting for a new one. Shipping here from US takes a while.
full

Back