1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

XS400 Carb Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jhall, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Jhall

Jhall XS400 New Member

Hey, I'm currently building a bobber out of a 83 XS400 as a summer project and have hit a snag. I am looking for a carb kit and can only find kits up to 82, is a kit for an 82 the same as for an 83?

2. overpl

overpl XS400 Addict

what type of XS400 is it? DOHC 12E?

3. Jhall

Jhall XS400 New Member

Hmmm I'm not entirely sure... where would I find that information? Sorry I'm new to this whole motorcycle thing.

4. overpl

overpl XS400 Addict

you have some photos? do you have frame number?

5. Jhall

Jhall XS400 New Member

Here is a couple pics, [​IMG] [​IMG] And what I assume is the frame # is JYA15G00XEA100392.

6. overpl

overpl XS400 Addict

This is yamaha 400 maxim - find manual - but as far as i know it has mikuni BS 32 carbs. But maybe im wrong - find out with google. But im pretty sure that you have maxim so you need to search kits for maxim or other mikuni bs 32 carbs - but they might have different jet sizes, so first of all get manual and find what jets you need.

regards,
    over.

7. willem

willem XS400 Guru Top Contributor

I agree with over, you got a maxim. Carbs are different from the SOHC models, but the same as on the Seca. You should be fine if you look for Maxim, Seca, DOHC or any 1982-1984 model. MikesXS probably has a good kit for you

8. Maxim-umm

Maxim-umm XS400 Addict

I have an 82 Maxim DOHC (same bike as yours, one year older). We use the BS34 Mikuni carbs. I ended up buying my carb parts seperately because I couldn't find a whole kit any where. Just take inventory of the carb parts you need and head over to http://www.mikesxs.net/products-4.html. You should be able to piece together your own "kit". Make sure you take your time and check each detail of the parts (pictures and descriptions) so you don't end up buying something you don't need (like I did).

9. SKYWLKR

SKYWLKR XS400 New Member

Canada
    What tank did you use?? Looks super dope