Xs400 enduro/hybrid

I have an '82 xs400 rj seca,and it has a similar monoshock style frame.It is set up for road use,of course,but the engine can put out a pretty good bit of torque,especially when fitted with pods and a good exhaust system. They also have a governor that can be by-passed to give more speed and power.I'm going to bob mine,as I have a dt400b for enduro action.Looks like you'll have an impressive machine,keep us posted so wecan live vicariously through you. lha

There is a governor?! I have two of these bikes and that thing needs to go asap lol

The governor is an electronic component that is shown in Yamaha manuals.I read about the German models having much more HP because of not having this governor,but information is sketchy and not easy to find,so I don't know much,if anything about it.Maybe it's because it's not supposed to be messed with. lha

I don't know about that, but i do know that I just want to figure out my stinking air filter issues!!! I know this isn't the idea setup for off road use but, i'm just throwing around ideas.......i'm running out of them, and my exhaust is beginning to sweat like a turkey does the day before thanksgiving.

1333072603.jpg

I use 6" sock filters by UNI,just a spring with a sock of foam around it. It gives plenty of filtered air and is easy to clean and re-oil. lha

i think the K&N RU-2970 would fit but it has rubber trim and youd risk melting it with the pipes. Im liking the forward style, could always house it later.

Maybe that's why the pipes are usually outside the frame.You don't need to suck all that hot air into the carbs,as that's one thing that cools the motor in a small,but important way. lha

Ive noticed that most dual sport/dirt bikes run the exhaust inside the sub frame because when you stand up your legs naturally hug the frame. If I had Run the exhaust outside the frame my leg would get baked. I care about my calves more than my engine. :)

I think as long as the forward filter doesn't interfere with controls and your legs when standing up, it looks and will work great.

Thinking outside the box here.

Why not put a filter scoop on the gas tank at the side and run a silicone pipe through the top and to the side of the scoop?

I decided to bite the bullet and cut the exhaust. I'm really glad I did because it was so much easier than all the screwing around I had been doing before. I just made a cut, rotated the bend a few degrees and re-welded it an pow! now everything fits. This project should really take off now. My front tire came in the mail today. Its a metzler karoo. I picked it up off of ebay for $15.38 with 100 miles on it. It still has tits on it! It is a $115 tire. I was stoked. I also took a picture of the bike with the paint stripped off the tank to try and change the minds of all the XT tank haters out there. haha ;D

DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

The tank looks good.I've got it's little brother,a gx80 tank for temporary use while tuning,etc. The comment about the pipes was just a thought of how the pipes would heat up the carbs,as the dirt bikes run the pipe up high against the frame,still a little close to the carbs. lha

Didnt work on the bike this weekend. Had a great weekend away with the wife. This was waiting in the mailbox when I got home. i would like to have the pipes farther from the carbs but i am low on room. i may try to make some sort of heat shield for the pods.

1333328225.jpg

You could always wrap the pipes in the vicinity of the carbs. That would keep it a little cooler where the air intake,and maybe your legs are. You must have seen the movie "The Three Amigos". The leader of the banditos was"El Guapo",but was more like El Feo. lha

Well I got some goodies in the mail today. Its starting to look a little more like a bike now. I know it looks funny with the red but you get the idea. I also got my battery mounted and started working on side covers. My rear tire is in the mail as well.

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

Back