Bradley Adam Lay

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I know i've read threw most of the posts about this, but I just don't understand what is going on. Help me out? The skinny:

From engine:
Black - field coil ground?
Green - field coil
3 whites- ac current

I have the r292 VR, the magnet works when energized directly from battery, green receiving 12v and black being grounded on field coil, the 3 phases all are within spec.

I have a Positive wire directly from the battery to the orange and yellow on the r292 (brown on oem VR), the green to green(SAME WITH OEM), black to black on field coil (OEM SAME), nothing, no charge. What am i doing wrong? Is there a jumper i'm missing somewhere? Will the magnet kick on at low rpms or not until 5 grand? Should the magnet always be on or cut off and on depending on voltage? The bike runs Awesome! First kick starter. I'll do whatever i need, post results, buy whatever idc. I just wanna smash around on my kick ass bike with out burning threw batteries.

I've got it to charge by doing this:. Brown from VR TO LIVE 12V FROM BIKE, GREEN FROM VR TO GREEN FIELD COIL, BLACK ON VR NOT HOOKED UP(WRONG IM SURE), AND BLACK OF FIELD COILD GROUNDED TO BATTERY, BUT NO REGULATING OCCURS BECAUSE IDK, I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THE REGULATOR TRULY OPERATES SO DEDUCTIVE REASONING HASN'T WORKED. PLEASE HELP ME, I'M VERY CLOSE TO BEING DONE. sorry about the caps lock, i had already typed alot and didn't want to do it again from my phone.

http://www.xs400.com/threads/chargi...ltage-regulator-or-dead-charging-system.7567/

That regulator is one AMC used with Motorola alternators.

I would run the reg black to a ground and the field black at the alt field coil to another separate good ground. Ground to reg needs to be clean and not from the field, make up a separate ground for the black at field -. Green = field +. Sure your 'orange' is not a red, and intended for battery +, yellow used to be used for stator output sensing but now tied to red or orange at battery +, or your brown.

Back