Kumeran

1980 Yamaha XS400 special
Reaction score
Guys where do I starr

Attachments

• 20220227_090142.jpg
    20220227_090142.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 167
Wow that is a mess! I would rip that best out and redo it, make it neater. You'll need to get a service manual or if you can print stuff off you can print out a wiring diagram. Just need to be sure it's for your exact year and model. There's also great diy wiring diagrams out there. best place to start is in depth research. You should know how to wire it before going at it. I myself am doing the same thing. I believe I have a fault TCI unit and I'm working on bypassing it with a new electronic ignition from MikesXS.net called an XS-Charge. How these ignition systems work vary by model. I have an 80 XS400G so I have a TCI unit controlling when my coils fire.
Cafe-Racer-Wiring-1.jpg
turn-signal-wiring.gif

Guys where do I start
It doesn't look that bad. There are great wiring resources in the TECH section on this site. Study the diagrams, choose to get familiar with one circuit at a time, make notes and label wires and components.
After spending enough time with the wiring diagram, notes, and wire labels, everything will begin to make sense.
I've done 2 harnesses now and it's like the old saying goes - How do you eat an elephant? Easy! One bite at a time;)
You can do it!

Thanks guys. I have done a bit of research and considering that I'm building a cafe racer I decided to go with a module that controls all of the electronics with new switches and of course keep the TCI

Back