'78 XS 400 Cafe Project Electrical Help

domdom

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,
I got a '78 XS 400 and I love it. (I'll post some pics soon). I have done virtually nothing to since buying it (last weekend). However, I got it home and tried to start the bike but since it was drained of gas I went and got some in a gas can to bring it back. While I was gone (a while) I had it trickle charge on a little 2 cycle charger. I DID NOT remove the battery while charging it. When I got back I installed two new spark plugs and tried to turn on the bike. Only, this time there was no power whatsoever. Where as before I could at least get the engine trying to catch. No neutral light, nothing. The fuses didn't look blown or anything. WHatever I did must have effed it up I suppose. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Dom

Check the fuses and if they are good, just wiggle the wires around the fuse box with the key on to see if you get anything to light up. I had the same thing last year and it turned out that while the fuses were good, all the clips and connectors around the fuse box were breaking down and there was intermittent contact. If that is it, there's a post about rebuilding the fuse box with radio Shack stuff around here someplace.

Was the battery a brand new one? I left an older battery on the charger for a little too long once and it "boiled" the battery. May be something to look at. I could actually hear the battery boiling when I put my ear next to it.

OK great guys. I'll definitely give the box and connecting wires and clips a little wiggling and see what happens. Also, I need to buy a cover for my fuse box. I have a '78 XS 400..will this cover fit my bike?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250701087568&viewitem=#ht_796wt_1110

Dom
I'm not sure if it would fit, but I would post a wanted ad here before paying $18. There are numerous bikes being parted out in the Classifieds section that may still have the cover you need, and I'm willing to bet that you could pick one up here for next to nothing. Just a suggestion though.

Hey guys, so it actually was a fuse. I went home after work and took a closer look at the fuses and noticed that my main fuse had a slightly blackened base at one end. Went out and bought some more for about $5 and now I can move on to other stuff. Thanks a lot for the help, this site is great.

Back