Hello fellas!

JohnSnowNW

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I know that some of you know me here from the Yamaha Club forum, but I'll go ahead and introduce myself again before posting a question. I am 28, just, and have a 1980 Yamaha XS400 and a 2009 Triumph Street Triple. I live in the Twin Cities, MN and the XS400 is my wife's bike, though I enjoy riding myself, immensely.

Heres the question, does anyone know if the MikesXS handlebar controls, specifically the one for the headlight and turn signal, is a drop in replacement? The turn signal control currently on the bike does not always work properly and I'd like to replace it. I guess what I'm asking is can just unplug the controller and plug the MikesXS one right in?

Thanks in advance!

JohnSnowNW

Last edited:
I don't know about mikesxs rig if it'll fit or not,but i do know that mine was doing that. If you have soldering iron and a couple scewdrivers, you can repair that. Unhook your battery. Take it off the bar and take a good look at the inside. You'll have 2-3 little scews. Take them out and take it apart and solder the wires back down. Put it back together. And maybe use a little dielectrice grease on the blinker arm. You'll see what im talking about when you get it apart. It's not that hard, skill level maybe 2 outa 5? Good luck no matter which way you go.

Regarding the Mike's XS controls, they sure do look like a direct replacement. Other than if they (Mikes XS) knows if they fit, I would see if you can find the XS 650 original part # and see if it's the same as the XS 400 part #.

I don't know about mikesxs rig if it'll fit or not,but i do know that mine was doing that. If you have soldering iron and a couple scewdrivers, you can repair that. Unhook your battery. Take it off the bar and take a good look at the inside. You'll have 2-3 little scews. Take them out and take it apart and solder the wires back down. Put it back together. And maybe use a little dielectrice grease on the blinker arm. You'll see what im talking about when you get it apart. It's not that hard, skill level maybe 2 outa 5? Good luck no matter which way you go.

Aye, it's more that the switch seems stiff and doesn't want to depress to turn the signal off. Thanks for the suggestion though.

yah thats what i was suggesting that maybe a wire is alittle loose and just needs soldered down the grease was just preventive mean

obout 40 miles east of kansa city;odessa. not sure where rolla is thinking around st louis,i think i didnt read your post good enough but that lever fits into some plastic that has a ball and spring. could be something as easy as the spring popped out of place,hay ya gotta take the thing off anyways

Rolla is about 100 miles SW of St. Louis. Yeah, I'll take that thing off.

I did find out that the XS400 OEM part is 3F9-83973-00-00

and the XS650 OEM Part is .................. 1T3-83973-00-00

So, they are close, but no idea if the 1st 3 numbers differing means it won't work. *shrugs*

Back