Help: Crankshaft Counterweight Wear?

SteveK

Steve
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So before I could do a writeup on blackening the bolts I wanted to take my engine apart to free up some more bolts.

After taking the head off and pistons out, I looked down into the crankcase and saw wear on the inside edges of the crankshaft counterweights.

I couldn't find anything about this after searching the web. Is this wear normal/tolerable or is it a sign of something that needs to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMAG0197.jpg
    IMAG0197.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMAG0198.jpg
    IMAG0198.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 184
I would not worry. I think its just from the machining done at the factory.

Chris, I was thinking (more like desperately hoping) that was the case. It seems to be just on the edges of the counterweights (like the casting was a bit off), but I wasn't sure if there was something in there that could cause wear like that.

I didn't have any problems with vibrations or noises when she was running, but you can never be too careful.

I will look at mine in the morning; it's all pulled apart. It also ran great before tearing it down, but I honestly haven't really peered into the case below the pistons.

looks like casting defect to me too. It'll be balanced by yam before using, so I wouldn't worry about it!

I would tend to agree,it looks better when everything's pretty,but since it's inside the motor,and not flaking off it should be nothing to worry about. lha

Back