Is there a maxim cafe racer?

Great bike you got there Inuit! I like it a lot but i would prefer a more mojave look tank and a tail maybe! Nice job none the less! Congrats! Hope i'll get mine the way i imagine it eventually! You gave me great courage right now to keep on planning the cafe scene for my xs!

Great bike you got there Inuit! I like it a lot but i would prefer a more mojave look tank and a tail maybe! Nice job none the less! Congrats! Hope i'll get mine the way i imagine it eventually! You gave me great courage right now to keep on planning the cafe scene for my xs!

oh thanks!!!

i'm very proud of it! now i look my bike and i like!! :bike:

no matter what's your stile...if you imagine a different xs...

go for it!!! :):):)

"Yeah i saw that... But he has fitted it too high to the frame... Bottom line of the tank does not line up with the frame's tube under where the seat would be..."

Well... what can I say... the front of the tank sits hard on the frame... the rear is off the frame by 3 inches.. its as close to straight as I could get... at least without making a tank from scratch... and I'm not that good!

Attachments

• 9-6-12 007.jpg
    9-6-12 007.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 570
I did not meant to offent you in any way Patriot! It's just a matter of taste! And in the recent photo you have posted it's way better!

What i would like is the frame's horizontal line to ne covered by the seat and the tank in a flat horizontal line... My taste though! In your bike if you paint for example the frame red i think is going to be marvelous!

Uhhh...I'm not offended in any way!... I just don't think without making a custom tank from scratch can you get the tank any lower on this frame. Believe me.. I tried. The problems I came across was the triple clamp hits the tank if I put it any further up on the frame(photo 1) and any lower and I could not access the mounting bolt locations(photo 2). I could not find any other tank that had a large enough tunnel to clear the "fat" frame. This was the best solution I could find that fit the "look" I was after. If my goal was a bobber then I would absolutely go for the Harley peanut tank... cuz the angle of the frame would accentuate that tank... but nobody wants a swing-arm bobber!.. just my 2 cents.. Lord knows this has been uncharted territory... and had I known I was blazing new trails I would have better documented my build. Hope this helps at least one person.

Attachments

• 9-14-2012 007.jpg
    9-14-2012 007.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 9-14-2012 008.jpg
    9-14-2012 008.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 362
Zampination,

Thats a beautiful little bike you have there , even in stock form its a gem my friend . I'm watching this thread to see what you come up with for modifications . I have a 1982 400 Maxim ( very similar ) and want to go with somewhat the cafe look myself or at least change out the bodywork to something more pleasing to the eye . The gas tank is a puzzlement due to frame design on these things . Looking forward to what you come up with .

clunkerbob

Patriot, take a look at my customization thread. You can narrow the travel on the forks easily enough, even easier if you have some welding skills, and then run your tank higher if you want to.

clunkerbob,

Ι'm currently looking for a mojave tank cause it has a huge tunnel and might be able to fit it in this frame. And i also love it offcourse! Looking through owners of this gas tank in order to get dimensions of it to measuere if it fits, but i got nothing yet. If anyone has a clue please step forward and speak(type LOL)!

I need to know almost any measurable dimension in the mojave tank before i go and buy one. And if any one see's this message and is willing to help me, then please i would want those measurementS in centimeters please! I don't know shit about feet, inch or so. I live in Greece.

Thanks in advance

Hey Guys,

First post but I happen to know a xs400 seca (so with the monoshock and maxim engine) to made into a pretty kick ass cafe racer. That being said i saw a couple of seca's sofar but also no completed maxim cafe racer yet. This beauty is made by Arjan van der Boom from Amsterdam the Netherlands. For those who check out bikeexif.com on a regular base he's widely known for his BMW R series cafe racers.

Attachments

• xs400iws3.jpg
    xs400iws3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 367
  • xs400iws1.jpg
    xs400iws1.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 362
  • xs400iws2.jpg
    xs400iws2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 367
Back