model ID #'s and years

well it's an SOHC engine that's for sure... but thats about as far as I get.

looks awesome though! nice upgrade to rear disc brake, love the wooden seat and the classic racer fairing :thumbsup:

Nice bike:thumbsup: Here in the u.s. the 78 E looks the same. Other than the parts you modified:wink2:

A list I found in the i-net long ago says
5E8 XS400H 1981

but I don't think a 1981 model would have a rear disk break. Are engine number and frame number the same?

Thanks for the info! I knew mine was an 81 but didn't know the model. Found out it's a Special 2 and the parts bike I just bought is a 77/8/9 XS400E/F:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_4261.jpg
    IMG_4261.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_4262.jpg
    IMG_4262.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 362
I think the 78-E vin number started with a 0 where the 79-F started with a 1. The build date will also tell. A date of 77 is the 78 and a date of 78 is a 79.

Last edited:
sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I have a XS250 with chassis and engine number prefix of 2U3 -xxxxxxx. (numbers match)

I am assuming its a 1980, but it has discs front and rear, and my local dealer says that config. did not exist. The compliance plate says it was Australian delivered.

can anyone offer some insight?

thanks,

Matt.

Last edited:
ok I hazard a guess that its maybe a XS360? does anyone know any tell-tale signs to look for? I cant find anything on the engine about CCs.
I see the square shaped fins, which is 250/360, but the rear disc seems to be more 360.

for what its worth, the guy who I bought it off was flakey as hell, and he bought if from a guy who has had it in a shed for 15yrs, and neither of them were very knowledgeable.

The cc's should be stamped in the bottom front of the jugs.

Attachments

• DSC02947.jpg
    DSC02947.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 370
Back