new member intro.

spectacle13

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is mike. I'm 24
i've worked up a deal to trade my 88 cherokee straight up for an 81 xs400
I should be going to make the trade this weekend.
I'm really glad to see so much support for these bikes on this forum as I really like the
older small engine jap bikes.

So the guy i'm getting it from said it runs, but idles rough, either needs carbs cleaned or a tune up.
he said it has the original plug wires on it, lol.
i'll have to check it out when I go to make the trade so I can diagnose the problem. Shouldn't be anything major though.

I'll post the pic of it he sent me whenever i figure out how your system works. Just straight html link froma hosting site or what?

edit** got it.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• photo0646.jpg
    photo0646.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 209
welcome to the forum spec13

I prefer the hosting using IMG tags as it is a better picky.

you might not be able to change the plug wires as some xs's are bonded in there, although I have modified some to change the wires, it did n't last long.

gotcha, well i'll voltage test the coils to see if they're putting out the proper voltage, etc.
my money's on carbs causing the rough idle, in my experience with bad coils either it runs or doesn't. i have seen a few cause bad ignition breakup at high rpms, but they usually just go dead.

You should be able to replace the wires on your coil, unscrewing the cap at the coil, be sure to get solid core, not resistor wires. 7mm, I believe.

Back