New member/rider. '78 cafe build

samxedge

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. New member here. Just picked up a 78 xs400 over the weekend as a 24th birthday present to myself. This thing reads at 15xx original miles! Just about every piece seems to be original. The story I was given was the original owner was an older gentleman who just never rode it. It was then sold to another older gentleman who restored but also never rode it. Then the owner that i purchased it from put all the miles on it and meticulously cleaned it. Bike starts right up and doesn't smoke one bit.

Currently I've purchased a new battery for it via advanced auto parts. Most likely going to get a smaller gel battery eventually, just wanted a new reliable one for now.The brakes could use a little adjusting (either just a bleed or new pads). Going to replace both tires. Unsure of what brand/size to get though. It's going to stay cafe/tracker style and mostly an around the town commuter. No racing and very little highway use at all. Also want to get rid of the airboxes and put on pod filters. Didn't known if a rejet was necessary though.

The rear running light does not come on. Brake light and turn signals all work. Just the actual running light doesn't come on. Might just be a fuse or wire. Haven't investigated yet.

Also fairly new to motorcycles in general. I've had an '11 sportster 883 for about a month and didn't like it one bit. Too low and heavy feeling for me. Bought it cheap off a relative just to get into bikes and just ended up not liking how it sat/felt.

Attachments

• IMG_20150706_111951.jpg
    IMG_20150706_111951.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 150
Running bulb and brake bulb are one in the same. It runs on a dual filament. So it is possible that it is just a burnt filament, requiring a new bulb(s)

I did notice that both bulbs light up when i pull the brake lever. Thanks for the info about the dual filament. I haven't taken the light apart yet to get to the bulbs so once i figure that out I'll try new bulbs.

Welcome!

wow check the dates on this tires... change them before any serious riding they look like the stock ones i pulled off my 78... Kenda Challengers are not expensive and ride well on the dry and wet stuff.. Noticed a lot of members here have them also

if it runs good now i would hold off on changing the airbox... ride it and enjoy it for the summer(s). Pods will need a rejet and can cause some headaches.

I did plan on getting new tires. The front actually IS the original. I'll look into the Kendas. Suggested size? I live in southern New Jersey and there's basically no such thing as a smoothly paved road. So a size with some good cushion would be nice.

And as for the aribox maybe i will just get new filters for now. I do want to get the pod filters and move the battery to clean up the bikes appearance more though.

Yes both front and rear are 18"

And I bought new bulbs for the tail light. Still no running lights. Just a brighter brake light :D . I'm guessing next step is to trace the yellow/blue wires?

I believe the stock size up front should be 90/90/18. I run a 100/90/18 which I think looks a lot better, but it is heavier than the standard size. I have not notice any adverse effects in terms of handling. Your speedometer will be very slightly off if you go this route.

You mean the tail light running light? But the brake light comes on when you hit the brakes? Do you have a "lights" switch on your right side hand controls? My 78 has an option to turn the lights off.

Back