New rider / New bike questions

Leo

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.
New rider here, recently endorsed, looking for a motorcycle.
I've been doing my research and trying not to rush into buying the first bike I see but I don't know much and have very little riding experience.
I recently found an '82 XS400S for sale nearby and would like to check it out.
https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers...-2821432/listing/1982-Yamaha-XS400S-117832666
Price-wise, it's within my budget but according to KBB value it seems a bit steep, but coming from a dealer, it may be expected.
I do have a couple of questions and I appreciate those of you who take the time to answer if you can:
  • Would you recommend it for an inexperienced rider?
  • How hard or costly would it be to upgrade it to, for example, disk brakes?
  • Anything to watch out for on this specific model that you're aware of?
Thanks a lot for your time
Leo

Way too much. If it's all perfect maybe 1000-1200. I have the same bike and paid $700 for mine. I had to put about 400 into it. Mine had 14,000 miles on it.

Id probably shop around some more. Right around this time of year is when people start unloading their bikes and you will probably come across a better deal for you. Id probably make an offer around 1200 cash to the dealer with that bike lol. No more than 1500 and that pushing it for a xs400.

But then again, I picked up my seized 76 360 for $400 and put about $1800 into it just to get it running and road worthy....

I got lucky with mine. Bought it for $250 on CL and put $300 to get it running/road worthy. Rode it like that for almost 2 years before I shorted the electrics.
As others have said, keep shopping or haggle the crap out of that one. Price is WAY too much for that one.

Another thing to consider that i didnt think about. Most members of XS400 are pretty mechanically inclined people that find utter pieces of junk bikes and make them ridable and pretty. You dont get to see everything that people go through to get their bikes where they want... sure you can read a thread about a restoration or build, but theres still missing bits to the story..

So when you go into a dealer and see bikes going for 10-15 grand and you just started riding, a 2 grand classic solid working bike doesnt sound that bad.. especially when you dont want to get a project or arent very mechanically inclined.

Its not a huge investment if you end up not riding all that much or just dont like it.

Just keep in mind that you absolutley have to be a mechanic to own a bike like that. You have to be able to maintain it yourself or else i think the cost of paying for it would be enough to justify getting a modern bike.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.
NewHavenMike, you make a great point. It would be my first bike and my main mode of transportation. I'm not looking to get into a project at the moment as my knowledge is very limited.
I did call the dealer but it seems they're not budging on price. I'll keep looking :)
Thanks again
Leo

Last edited:
Back