Questions on bike running.

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This is baffling me,its not realy a problem just strange.I put new platinum plugs and efree primium in the tank and went for a long ride.I checked my plugs to see if they are showing any color yet to see how in tune the carbs are.It doesnt have any signs of running lean,no popping backfiring and starts and soon as I hit the estart.Idles at 1200rpm warm.Starts on half choke when cold.I have fuel mix screws turned out 3 and half turns and my jets are 2.5 sizes over stock and pilot is 1 size up.The bike is a 400sh sohc.Should I not worry about it or should I adjust the fuel mix screws out some more?

Give it a while. The plugs run hot to stay clean. Though you may want to check your ignition timing. If it is too far advanced, it will have the plugs running very hot and clean.

Maybe I will temporarily put my old plugs in and run them for a day.USUALY a few blocks around or about 5 miles of riding will tell me.

Heres another thing since I changed the plugs and put this efree gas in,My bike has a ton of low end power and builds revs realy fast.The low end power it has is almost scary because its never ran like this before.Since these plugs run hotter maybe I need to adjust the fuel mix even more to compensate?

Back