random idle and preformance

Cqle

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm completely new to bikes and working on them too except for a little moped project i had. I hope i am not creating a new thread for something very simple i have just over looked but ive had a really strange problem with my bike a 1980 xs400 special. i will play around with the choke and start it up with the choke half way out and she will fly up to around 7k but then if push the choke in and i turn the idle screw to lower the idle i can get it down to 1-2k and it will idle and purr beautifully with great sound and good throttle response but then after a ride around the block or restart it will slowly go back to what it normally does which is a very low idle and less responsive throttle and will eventually die in idle or if i come to a stop. ive read some threads about the idle dieing off but i cant find any on the random great performance then going back to the poor. i would greatly appreciate advice and knowledge!:)

(also what i have checked is the petcock thinking it might have been a fuel delivery issue but i pulled the petcock and the in tank filter was spotless! and there is no inline yet.)

Back