Valves hitting piston

rodeo

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've got my motor pretty much complete after a full tear down and I've run in to a snag setting the valve clearances.

If I loosen the valve clearance adjusters the motor turns over freely no problem. If I try to set the valves to tolerance by tightening them (LT) first, then (RT). The LH intake valve hits the piston and prevents me from turning the motor over.

I can see inside the head and the pistons are facing the correct direction (the arrow).

It's hard to get feelers in under the rockers, but I'm pretty sure I am using the right sizes.

(.08-.12)mm intake (.16-.20)mm exhaust

:wtf:

I don't know if this helps but heres a pic of my cam when I rebuilt it. Was the dot marker on yours on the top like this when you put it back together? I forget if that should be there at TDC or what but it tells you in the manual.

Attachments

• DSC04024.jpg
    DSC04024.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 216
Ohh ok, I made sure that the the pip marker was at 12-oclock as the manual states, but I don't remember setting either side at TDC, I swear I read that thing at least 3 times before I installed it. I'm sure that's the problem then, I will adjust the cam chain sprocket accordingly.

Thanks

Yeah I cant remember where you had to set it, I just remember it had to be set somewhere. Also remember having to read that section over and over again to wrap my head around it I swear they could have explained it easier. I think they made it way more complicated than it needed to be, lol.

It looks like that was the problem. I needed a good whack to the head to get my brain going on this problem, thanks guys =D

Now if i could just get the darn lines on the cam sprocket to stay nice and parallel with the top of the case once the tensioner is in.. haha

Get it as close as you can and don't sweat it. If you have to choose between slightly advanced or slightly retarded cam timing, keep this in mind: Advanced will move the torque curve lower in the rev range, retarded will move it higher.

Most people prefer the torque curve to be lower for street riding.

It looks like that was the problem. I needed a good whack to the head to get my brain going on this problem, thanks guys =D

Now if i could just get the darn lines on the cam sprocket to stay nice and parallel with the top of the case once the tensioner is in.. haha

They aren't going to be perfectly parallel; it's normal. This throws a lot of people off because the manual doesn't make it clear.

Here is a photo of mine.

I played with it before convincing myself this is right; one tooth either left or right throws it way off. It won't be even close to parallel.

Attachments

• valvetime.jpg
    valvetime.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 206
Back