When to do first oil change after rebuild?

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering what the general consensus is on this. Ive ridden the bike a handful of times now just up and down the street and the oil is already going dark. Should I drop the oil now and replace oil filter?

I always go by color/smell. Going dark is not the same as black, so it should be able to handle some more use. Personally, I say 500mi is about the limit for the first dose of oil (I did mine at 250). I also like to add ~25mL of Seafoam to the crankcase if I plan on changing the oil within 100mi.

I would change the filter too, you'll always have some crud left over from the build in there. Also clean the gauze screen under the engine, it sits under the oil pump intake.

When I first built my engine, i threw in some mineral oil and thrashed it for 20 miles, dropped the oil and cleaned the gauze screen. the gauze was full of RTV sealant from the cam cover.

now I've got you thinking :D

Thanks for the help guys :) Yeah oil is cheap so i may as well drop it soon just to get the initial crap out from the rebuild and ill check that gauze for sealent while im at it!

I did an oil change at 60 miles. I had cylinders wet-honed/crosshatched and new rings but i supect I should have followed the PROPER break-in procedure. :yikes: I think I will be more gentle on it for a couple hundred miles. :wink2:

I did an oil change at 60 miles. I had cylinders wet-honed/crosshatched and new rings but i supect I should have followed the PROPER break-in procedure. :yikes: I think I will be more gentle on it for a couple hundred miles. :wink2:

all part of the bedding in, that'll be it now :D

Yeah, expect some metal during break in, as the new rings are knocking the points off the newly hatched cylinder walls.

I just rebuilt a 2stroke scooter for a friend and had a new barrel and piston. the thing only does 30 flat out (by design) so how can you run in a bike like that without giving it WOT?

Back