Why does my bike do this?

yeah Im realy not sure how long its been since my oil filter has been changed?The exowner didnt know much about the bike.I dont think he had it very long either.I know it ran and drove when I seen it.I knew it need some exaust repair and a battery but for $375 I wasnt pasnt it by.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bike does it again,finaly get it started after it sitting in the cold for 6 days.Starts up runs good alot of power,then it warms up and doesnt have full power again but its running on both cyclinders and idles fine.I know if I take it for a ride it will blow what ever out and run fine again.:wtf:

edit: I layered up took it for a ride for about 19 minutes.Temp wise it wasnt bad but whatever is in the carb wont blow out but it did gain a little more power as I rode it.Thing is I felt like I was riding on a moped it wont go over 30 mph.

Last edited:
Check your valve clearances (really.) And consider adding an inline fuel filter.

Its needs to be done Im almost positive,they clatter pretty bad.Dont have the proper tools to check them at the moment I have also read many threads on how to do this but Im kinda unsure if I can do this?I should be able to but Im very New to working on motorcycles.Im thinking I have two issues,the valve lash needs to be adjusted and carbs need a cleaning.

... but Im kinda unsure if I can do this? I should be able to but Im very New to working on motorcycles. Im thinking I have two issues,the valve lash needs to be adjusted and carbs need a cleaning.
You do have the SOHC, right? It will be like my old sr250 to adjust - simply 2 little nuts to adjust and tighten. You can do it.
Also, the $2 in-line fuel filter is really easy. The last thing you want is for detritus from a 30 year old tank finding it's way into carbs, whether clean or otherwise.
Do the filter asap so you are not down to a top speed of 25 next ride, :wink2:

You do have the SOHC, right? It will be like my old sr250 to adjust - simply 2 little nuts to adjust and tighten. You can do it.
Also, the $2 in-line fuel filter is really easy. The last thing you want is for detritus from a 30 year old tank finding it's way into carbs, whether clean or otherwise.
Do the filter asap so you are not down to a top speed of 25 next ride, :wink2:

How to I identify if I have sohc or dohc?

How to I identify if I have sohc or dohc?
I was going to say by checking the VIN number

But it's easier to look at the motor or the rear shock.

Attachments

• sohc looks like this.JPG
    sohc looks like this.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 193
  • dohc looks like this.JPG
    dohc looks like this.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
:laughing: I was going to say by checking the VIN number :laughing:

But it's easier to look at the motor or the rear shock.

Ok it looks like to 1st pic,theres also for bolts at the top of the head, 2 on each size they are fairly large maybe 3/4 of an inch or so what are they for?Is that where I adjust the valve lash at?

Thanks Lupe gives a good idea on what in 4.I know theres a certain proceder on how to go about doing this.You have to have the engine at tdc adjust in a certain order.
Do it again with the other cyclinder at TDC and make the adjustment.Can you point me to some threads explaining how to do this task?thank you for the help.

what do you mean? Finding TDC?
Remove the spark plugs, turn the engine (using the kicker) and watch the pistons.
Alternative: remove the spark plugs and the little engine cover on the left side and turn the crank with a wrench. find the LT or RT mark in the little window.

Valve clearance:
remove tank, open the caps at the top of the engine, try to put the gauges between the screw and the end of the valve.
If the clearance is not ok: loosen the nut, turn the screw in or out to adjust clearance. tighten the nut. Measure again...

Back