Listed below are quick-reference links to threads in the forum on specific XS400 technical topics. Not all of the links below are to completed articles, but all contain at least some useful information on the topic. The list is a work in progress so if you can't find what you are looking for, try the Forum Search feature or browsing the main forum by Tags. If you're knowledgeable on a specific topic that is not well represented below, consider starting your own XS400 technical thread in the forum and it will most likely be included in the list below. A big thank you to everyone who has contributed so far!
Engine and Transmission
Carburetors, Fuel, Intake, and Air Filters
Maintenance and General Troubleshooting
Yamaha XS400 Technical Article Suggestions
Listed below are some XS400 technical topics that would make great technical articles. Some of these topics are briefly covered by threads in the list above. The threads could use improvement or a new comprehensive article could be created on the topic. Consider helping the XS400 community by creating a How-To or technical article on any of the topics below.
- Fitting a hardtail
- Caliper service/rebuild
- Dismantling rear shocks
- Steering head taper bearing swap
- Swingarm bronze bushes swap
- 2-1 Carb manifold
- Shortening cables
- Wheel bearing replacement
- Carb cleaning and rebuild
- Engine rebuild
- Cleaning a rusting tank
- Torque specs and torque patterns
- How to remove the starter
General Motorcycle Technical References from XS650.com
- How to properly store your motorcycle
- General motorcycle troubleshooting - Symptoms and their potential causes
- Bike won't start? Running rough?
- Buying guide - Getting to know your bike
- Shop tools: "Homemade and Unique Tools"
- Motorcycle Lift
- Tool Kit
- Tube bender plans
- Frame jig plans
- Motorcycle wheel truing stand and static balancer
- How to read a motorcycle tire sidewall, tire information: "motorcycle tyres (tires)"
- Forward controls
- Making throttle cables
- Carburetors (This is somewhat XS650 specific but there is a lot of good information here on carbs and jetting)
* Newly Added