Need help rebuilding petcock

84tele

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I'm cleaning and rebuilding my '78 petcock and the inlet tube was badly corroded. After a good cleaning, it has a visible hole (more like a split) in it that was underneath all the corrosion.

Are these inlet tubes brass or copper? It seems like copper.

Can I just solder-repair it or should I try to find a replacement tube? I would rather replace it if I can find a tube that fits.

Thanks in advance for the help.

If mine broke - I would replace petcock with a simple one that is not vacuum operated. One less point of failure and no need to deal with that annoying vacuum line every time I need to take fuel tank off. (And I am losing the instinct to close petcock after ride).

It should be brass. Is it the tube going to the carb? Take some pics of what you have.

Here's a picture. If you look closely at the tube you'll see what looks like a split.

So, if I go with a new aftermarket petcock, which do you recommend?

I have a '78 XS400E that I'm restoring. Everything is original on it, but 26 years of neglect has taken it's toll.

Even the carb floats have developed holes. :doh:

Attachments

• petcock.jpg
    petcock.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 432
You may be able to find a piece of fuel line that will fit snugly on the tube over the crack, that may work.

I quite like knowing, when I turn my rebuilt vacuum petcock, that I've seen and cleaned every square millimeter of it.
It works great.
Vacuum petcocks have a bad rap but there's no downside.

That tube is for pulling at a higher point in the tank or your "on" position. There should be another small hole next to it that is your "res" position witch pull from the bottom of the tank. Most of the petcocks for the 400's I have seen don't have the metal pipes in them but a plastic filter and tube insert that allows that to happen. My guess is at some point the plastic one failed and someone put that pipe in so not to pull crud off the bottom of the tank. I would fix the hole if you want to help from getting bottom crap but make sure you have a good in-line filter between the carbs and petcock.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 409
Actually on mine, the plastic filter slid over the brass tube. But, the filter was too far gone to save.

So, I bought a petcock rebuild kit and I'm not sure how to do this. I've seen the great thread with lots of pics (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8033), but it really doesn't help me understand how to fit this new kit to my original petcock. I'm assuming the old accordion diaphragm is discarded and replaced with the 2-ply gasket. However, the middle hole on the plastic spacer is too small for the replacement diaphragm to fit through. Do I need to disassemble the 2-ply diaphragm or something? I really need help. I've never done this before.

The accordion diaphragm was attached to the stem of the top diaphragm that fits through the hole. As you can see from the photos, the shaft of the new diaphragm is too big to fit through that hole in the plastic spacer.

Attachments

• DSC_0297.JPG
    DSC_0297.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC_0302.JPG
    DSC_0302.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC_0299.JPG
    DSC_0299.JPG
    237.8 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC_0300.JPG
    DSC_0300.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 383
Thanks for pointing me to that thread. I had come across that before at some point. I do notice the plastic spacer on his has a hole probably about the size of a dime, whereas mine is about the diameter of a pencil. I'm wondering if I will need to enlarge the hole on mine to make the new diaphragm fit. Has anyone else had this problem?

My guess is that your petcock must have come off another model bike. I have never seen a xs400 or xs650 with a plate or diaphragm like that. It may also explain the metal tube in it.

Hmm. In that case I have no idea what petcock this is or what bike it came off of. That's gonna make it difficult to rebuild.

Are you referring to the shape of the tank? See pic. Hopefully the distance between the mounting holes are the same.

Attachments

• XS400E Tank.jpg
    XS400E Tank.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 389
Same tank I have. The only thing is the fuel outlet is on the same with the mikes petcock and you need to do a little finagling to clear the pullout choke. I have a xs360 carbs noe but it will work with the 400 ones also.

Attachments

• DSC02698.jpg
    DSC02698.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC02699.jpg
    DSC02699.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 382
Back