First Carb Rebuild - 2 Mikuni BS34s

domdom

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got two carb kits coming in for my Mikuni BS34s that go in my 78 XS 400. I'm going to rebuild them, which is something I've never done. What am I going to need with me when I begin?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_3013.jpg
    DSC_3013.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 633
Phillips screwdrivers (medium- lid, float bowl, throttle plates), flat screwdrivers (large, medium, small- enrichener rod, jets), a 10mm wrench (float needle seat), a 14mm wrench (enrichener plunger), a hammer and small drift (float pin), also about a 1/4" drift (emulsion tube- but only tap lightly), and carb cleaner. Personally, I would add to that a big pot of boiling water or an ultrasonic cleaner.

Am I missing anything? Sad that I can give this list by memory.

Okay, I think I've got what I need except I think I'm going to soak them first. I've seen a couple a thread on here where guys were saying to use anything from Pine-Sol to Acetone. What I've learned thus far is that If I'm going to dip them for a day, I'm gonna need remove the rubber and plastic from the carbs, get a bucket, strainer, and some non-aerosol cleaner. What would you guys use to clean them? Drewpy? HoughMade?

I completely dissassembled mine then boiled them in 25% white vinegar and water, turning the carbs so a different side was up every 20 minutes or so for a total of 1.5 to 2 hours. Then, I dried them off and shot some carb cleaner through all the holes to make sure they were open...but there are plenty of ways to do this. this is only one.

Are there any hard to find rubber or plastic components in the Mikuni carbs on this, HoughMade?

If you strip the carbs all the way down, I think the most hidden parts would be the butterfly shaft seals and those are available at Mikes XS if you need to replace them.

Okay, so here's my status so far. I began one carb tonight, and I've got it all taken apart and cleaned. There is just one minor problem. Either the previous owner was really aggressive or the carbs are just really old and worn because the pilot screw tips (air/fuel ratio) are stuck in the tiny orifice. The screws come out, but the tips are stuck. It might be why my idle was messed up. Refer to picture.

I found this link to help, but haven't had any luck yet with their remedies.
What do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSC_3322.jpg
    DSC_3322.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 864
  • DSC_3325.jpg
    DSC_3325.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 801
Last edited:
Had the same problem. I used a flat screwdriver to lay on top of the tip and then a hammer to knock it back. It takes a couple of heavy blows before it loosens. And as for rubber parts, I don't think there should be an oring at bottom of the mixed f/a screw, but I could be mistaken.

Btw. do you have a spring for that screw? Mine's a 78' too and I'm pretty sure you should have a spring between the screwhead and the carb.

Too right, I did have a spring. I just took it off for some reason. Did you have the original pilot screw in and hammer the top of that? I'm confused on what end you used the hammer and screw driver on? Because it seems that the only place to use a screw driver and hammer would be from the pilot screw entry hole?

Thanks

I placed the screw driver on top of the tip inside the carb then hammered perpendiculary on the screw driver. As if sticking a screw driver into the carb on your second picture. It doesn't have to be a screw driver, you just need something to distribute the force from the hammer to tip. I thought about pounding it out from the top with a grinded nail but didn't want to risk enlarging the orifice.

I've been a lurker on this site for a while.... I am having this EXACT same problem as we speak on my 400. Found both needles busted off when I was rejetting... could have been me or the previous owner. Probably me. I'm waiting with baited breath to see if you guys can come up with something, and I will post any successes I have as well. Good luck, I got "The Look" from a yamaha mechanic today (you know, the "you are F-ed" look) so hopefully we can figure this out together.

Yeah man. I'm working on it as we speak too. I've got one tip filed and flush with the ceiling and trying to get it out with the pin prick method, but nothing is happening. I've also tried pushing it out and risking the larger hole, but that hasn't worked either. At this point I'm stuck, but we'll see! Where there's a will...there's a bill? (is that how it goes?)

Sorry to say that your f-ed. I have seen this with 3 other carbs and once they are broken off that is about it. Fine some new ones.:( If you can get them out good for you and good luck:thumbsup:

Back