XS400.com
Forum Search: Advanced

Go Back   XS400 Forum > General Discussion > The Garage
Register Forum FAQ XS400 Tech Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Welcome to XS400.com!
XS400.com is dedicated to the Yamaha XS400 twin motorcycles and to the people who love to ride, restore, and customize them. As a guest you can view the forum and photo galleries, but you have to register before you can post or view attachments. Its free and only takes a minute. Proceed to registration. (This notice will go away once you log in)

The Garage Motorcycle Related Discussion (Yamaha XS400, other makes and models, and anything else motorcycle related including tools and gear)

Old 12-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
bochnak
Matt

Default Choke Q's - does your bike high idle?

Trying to start a bike in 20-30F and it is very difficult. Electric starter seems too weak, must kick start it.

Also, with choke on, the bike does not "high idle". The idle increases only slightly. Carbs have been cleaned and I verified that the passages are clean. Turning the choke on with a hot engine will kill the bike.

Bike is new to me so I'm not sure how the choke is supposed to act. I'm also asking a lot for it to start in this weather with 20w50
bochnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
drewpy
Excess twin

Default Re: Choke Q's - does your bike high idle?

its not a choke but an enrichment device! the bike normally raises the revs.

How can you verify the passages are clean? I can never verify mine, there is only cause and effect to go by.

sounds like battery on its way out due to the lower temps, but the oil is a little thick for that weather. Mines got a little electric oil heater under it ATM

http://xs400flattracker.blogspot.co.uk/

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride"
drewpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
bochnak
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
its not a choke but an enrichment device! the bike normally raises the revs.

How can you verify the passages are clean? I can never verify mine, there is only cause and effect to go by.

sounds like battery on its way out due to the lower temps, but the oil is a little thick for that weather. Mines got a little electric oil heater under it ATM
yeah, yeah enrichment circuit/device

By passages, I mean the pickup tube in float area that leads to the choke starter body is clean.

My pilot screws are 3 turns out. I pulled the plugs after some idle time, they are black. I will try 2-2.5 out and see if it clears up.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
HoughMade
XS400 Guru

When I start the engine from cold, enrichener full on- it idles at around 1200-1400 rpm. As the engine warms up. the idle increases. That is the sign to put it on half enrichener and when the idle rise at half, that is the sign to turn it off.

1979 XS400F

Many an XS400 was parked in a barn after the owner tried to fix a problem with a modification rather than a repair.
HoughMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
bochnak
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
When I start the engine from cold, enrichener full on- it idles at around 1200-1400 rpm. As the engine warms up. the idle increases. That is the sign to put it on half enrichener and when the idle rise at half, that is the sign to turn it off.
OK, thanks. Mine is a 76' xs360 with only one position for choke.