Fuel Tank Fitment Question

Arclight88

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
OK experts...

I know the 1978 e-model and 2e-model use different fuel tanks. But will the tank from a 2e-model 'fit' on the e-model frame?

And if anyone who knows would reply ever-so-quickly, it would be really appreciated because I know a man who wants to buy it today.

Thanks, DJ

Last edited:
It should fit it but the seat might have a gap between them.

Thank you for the reply.

I have the answer. The fuel tank for the 1978 Model 2E uses part number 1L9-24110-00-X3. The 1978 Model E uses part number series 2L0-24110-00-xx. The 2L0 tanks are about 2-inches longer than the 1L9 series parts.

Nuff said.

Last edited:
Your'e selling it? :(
I thought of getting Blue 360 tank and covers and turning it into a sleeper :laugh:

Is anyone using a 2e tank on their E model?

I want to run a 2E tank because I like the lines of it better but I don't want to fork out the money unless I know for sure that it's a direct bolt on

Its not an E model but this is what you would see with the shorter tank. They will fit any xs400 frame just a gap with the seat. The square tank seats where longer.

Last edited:
I stand corrected They do NOT fit. I was going by a post by another member that did not mention the rear mounting tab not being long enough.:(

arclight88 your frame is not a 78E frame it looks to be a 80-82 frame ( you would still have the same issues) fyi:)

arclight88 your frame is not a 78E frame it looks to be a 80-82 frame ( you would still have the same issues) fyi:)

Hi Chris,

You are so right and I agree.

The pictures you see in my Tank Details album are of the '78 2E-model tank sitting on my '81 H-model frame. According to the books a '78 E-model and and '81 H-model are both a '2L0' frame design series, thus have the same bolt pattern for the longer tank. The shorter '1L9' design series frames used the shorter, 'square' tanks.

I should have named those pictures '2L0' frame, not 'E-frame'.

This discussion is helpful I think to help all our friends appreciate the fitment issues.

Last edited:
Back