Preparing a motorcycle for the winter?

chrisd1984

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey so it looks like I'll have to store my motorcycle outside for the winter. I live in Toronto which means the temperatures will be cold for January/Feburary basically. The bike is a 1983 and will be stored under a small roof beside the shed (which means it won't be snowed on). I'll still probably get a cover for it anyway and put a blanket on top of the cover as well as rest the bike on it's stand. What other precautions should I do? Will the bike be ok to keep outside in this state for those 2 months? Should I empty the tank and keep the battery in the house and stuff some clothes in the exhaust to keep out moisture?

I've also heard people talk about pouring liquid into the empty tank to keep out moisture but I'm not sure what this means. I'm also not sure what people mean by draining the carbs and have no clue how to go about this if it needs to be done...:(

The last thing....I have a 83' Yamaha Maxim...does the gas tank just snap off or do I have to unscrew something somewhere? Is it bad if I just leave the gas in there for 2 -3 months only?

Sorry to clarify I was told to add Stabil and then drain the tank...

You dont drain the tank drain the float bowls on the carbs.Im going into uncharted territory so dont ask me how its done.
I was told to drain and change the oil yet I dont unstand how that matters the bike isnt going anywhere.
Yes take your battery inside
Get a tarp or cover basicaly wrap your bike up in it leaving no place for moisture to get inside.
Put your bike on a hard cement surface or wood underneith the tires.

You dont drain the tank drain the float bowls on the carbs.Im going into uncharted territory so dont ask me how its done.

Keep your tank mostly full and ad the stabil.
I was told to drain and change the oil yet I dont unstand how that matters the bike isnt going anywhere.

Keep your tank mostly full and ad the stabil.
On a side note my Bike has been outside in 20*-30* for the last 3 weeks,Fixing to put the heater on it today and thaw it out

Last edited:
no freeze here yet, I have a little oil heater I keep under the baby. I then shout at the family for leaving lights on and wasting electricity :D

Mine sits in a detached unheated garage all winter. The cold will not affect the bike, your biggest enemy is moisture mainly from condensation due to temperature fluctuations and our damp winters here.

Here are the basics;

1. Change the oil
2. Fill the gas tank with gas and add gas stabilizer, the less air in the tank the less chance for condensation
3. Run the engine for about 5 minutes to get the treated gas into the carbs. No need to drain the carbs.
4. Pull the battery
5. Put on a cover that will breathe so that moisture does not get trapped under it.

I have been following this procedure on my motorcycle, Corvette, and lawn tractor for 30+ years with no problems. The only additional thing I would suggest since yours will be sitting outside is to take the seat inside so that any critters won't get a chance to nibble on it.

I believe it is important NOT to wrap it in a plastic tarp which will trap moisture (from condensation inside. A canvas tarp or a cover which "breathes" (i.e. air/water vapour) is okay.
Last winter I put away my previous bike (sr250) and sprayed all the frame welds, joins and crevices with "Rust-Check" (which you can get in a can). Worked great - it prevented any rust from forming and was easy to wipe off in the spring with about a dozen paper towels.

As I understand it, changing the oil immediately before putting it away is to ensure that there are no impurities/acids (which slowly build up as oil gets more used) sitting in there for 3 months. Makes sense. Nothing is going to build up over the winter except maybe some moisture, so as long as your first ride in the spring is a decent length at full operating temperature, there is no need to change it again.

I don't know which theory is right when it comes to draining the carbs. With the 250 thumper, I put in stabilizer (green Yamaha stuff) in a full tank of 91 octane NO ETHANOL gas, ran it for several minutes, topped it up and then left everything full of gas, including the carbs. In the spring I siphoned it all out and put it in my car and then refilled the tank with fresh gas. All was well.
But I'm afraid to leave the bowls full with 2 carbs - though I keep getting advised both ways by guys at the "hang-out".

I think what Im going to do since I will most likely be working on my bike this winter is drain the tank,take off and drain the carbs.Other than my bike will be indoors.
As for the tarp wrapping my other bike was wrapped this way lasy year and it was fine.I did spray everything with silicone spray though.I also used fogging oil in the cylinders.Since we didnt get buried by snowlike we usualy do I was able to go out randomly and turn the bike over.

wouldn't it be better to keep the carbs full of stabil added fuel instead of drying them out for months?

Also, as above, changing the oil is good for a couple of reasons, it stops old oil with impurities being affected by the winter and sitting for long periods. As well as that, when riding weather comes, your either faced with starting the engine with the old oil that's been sitting, or dumping the oil on a cold engine and not getting all of it out.

I feel lucky to be in Australia, where it never gets cold enough not to ride, only too hot during the day, which makes for an awesome beach ride at night :).

Good luck!

wouldn't it be better to keep the carbs full of stabil added fuel instead of drying them out for months?

Also, as above, changing the oil is good for a couple of reasons, it stops old oil with impurities being affected by the winter and sitting for long periods. As well as that, when riding weather comes, your either faced with starting the engine with the old oil that's been sitting, or dumping the oil on a cold engine and not getting all of it out.

I feel lucky to be in Australia, where it never gets cold enough not to ride, only too hot during the day, which makes for an awesome beach ride at night :).

Good luck!

Im going to overhaul them thats why im going to drain them.:)

Back