Carb Issue

The Wang

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Having carburator issues, wondering if there are modern carb replacements or if those rebuild kits online do the trick

Generally speaking the only thing you need during a rebuild is new float bowl gaskets. Unless the floats and jets are that messed up they rarely need replacing.

What’s your carb issue?

Generally speaking the only thing you need during a rebuild is new float bowl gaskets. Unless the floats and jets are that messed up they rarely need replacing.

What’s your carb issue?
Major flooding, so I assumed it was the floats. I recently read some other threads about gunk from original fuel tanks going into the carbs, would that gum the floats up causing the flooding?
I'm just wondering if the kits are reliable(the ones on eBay/amazon), I do use an original gas tank so after hearing about that I'll probably throw on an in-line fuel filter

Sounds like the needle isn’t closing or the float height is too high. Do you have the brass or rubber floats? Have you taken the carbs apart at all?

On my third carb cleaning, I finally got the bike running well, but still had the left carb leaking fuel if I left the petcock on and it on the side stand. New needles and seats finally solved that.

On my third carb cleaning, I finally got the bike running well, but still had the left carb leaking fuel if I left the petcock on and it on the side stand. New needles and seats finally solved that.
Good to know, I'll probably do a full service on the carbs then. Better than having to take them off and apart multiple times.

Back