1978 xs400 carbs

The most important question to ask first is, why do you want aftermarket carbs?

Lots of different options. None are drop-in replacements.
Quite a bit of tuning involved to get the right jetting, no matter what carbs you go with.

Mikuni VM carbs are probably the most common aftermarket carbs used. There are a few old threads with information to sift through. I think people have posted about using VM26s, 30s, 32s, and 34s with varying levels of success. Theoretically one of them probably gives the best performance but there hasn't been a side-by-side comparison of the different VM sizes.
Type "vm carbs" into the search box, without quotes, and you'll get lots of info.
Keihin is another search term. People have used the Keihin PWK carbs, just beware of knockoffs.

Flat slide and round slide carbs have been addressed but I'd say they're more for race applications.

well its my first bike and i was told carbs needed rebuilt well every single jet and screw its stripped so bad i couldnt get most off so i was just trying to find an easier alternative then possibly damaging my stocks

Understood. However, getting your stock carbs back to stock or starting with a better set of stock carbs is probably your best bet.

Sounds like if parts are all boogered up (to use the technical term), you could use a true rebuild. I just cleaned mine last night (smart guy let them sit for 2+ years with untreated gas). The screws that hold the lids on are hardware store available as are the screws for the bowls and the angle steel bracket that holds them together. If the jets are messed up, you'll need them, but other than that, as long as the carb bodies are not bad, a good...and i mean good cleaning may get you where you need to be. Were it me, I would get it as far disassembled as I could and see what is really, truly messed up. Replace only those parts, and clean, clean, clean.

I had to use my own procedure because i let the bike sit:

http://www.xs400.com/threads/bike-idles-fine-but-will-not-rev.6240/#post-64401

Back