Make Offer - 1978 xs400 - Complete bike, but in parts!!

Kbarkilr

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys . . . I wanted to post this on here first and give you guys first dibs on this being everyone was so helpful when I first joined this site last fall. I live in MN and bought a 1978 xs400 from a lady in Minneapolis last fall. The bike was licensed and was her daily driver to and from class. The bike has roughly 13,000 mi. on it. The bad news for me is that I could not get the title transfered to me. . . . they said that the engine # did not match the number that they had in there database. I explained that the bike is still currently licensed, etc... but the very unhelpful woman at the DMV didn't seem too interested in what I had to say.

The motor # matches the frame # exactly. When I bought the bike I brought it home, started it up, and ran it up and down the street . . . no problems, ran well. I did a compression test . . .170 both sides exactly. After I proved it was a good runner, I began the tear down. Once I found out that getting it titled in my name would likely cost me more than the bike, I stopped and that's the way she sits.

I would rather not part out the motor, because she runs so strong. Just about everything on the bike is in good shape. Tank with no dents or rust on the inside (petcock included). Carbs in great condition and clean (first thing I did). Side covers with no cracks. All wiring is there and in decent shape. No starter motor. Frame in excellent condition (could use a little paint though). All turn signals/lights worked when I took them off. Same with the gauges. I have the key for the gas tank and ignition.

That's some of the major stuff. I have all the parts for this bike and figure I will sell them for $10-20 less than I can find them on ebay for. I just took a bunch of pics and will upload them soon. Just wanted to put this out there for you guys to think about.

If you live close and want to take it all, $350 will do it! That's EXACTLY what I paid for her . . . not a dollar more or less. If no one wants it all, I guess I'll make more by parting her out. I have absolutely no intention of cheating anyone. I will take as many photos as you want of any given part and email them to you before you buy and do my best to describe the exact condition that the part is in. However, I am not interested in returning your money for the parts once you have purchased them and going back and forth, back and forth. For this reason, all sales are final. I just don't have the time to deal with all of that. I am not a mechanic or motorcycle expert, nor have I ever played one on TV (although I am no idiot either) . . . please remember that when considering a purchase of parts from this bike.

I want to be as fair and honest with you as possible . . . if you think I'm way off when I give you a price, let me know and I will very possibly reconsider if you have evidence that the part is selling cheaper somewhere else.

Photos coming soon! Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!

Here's a pic of her when I brought her home . . . .

Attachments

• 1978 xs400_1.JPG
    1978 xs400_1.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 364
thats a damn shame man.........I need the front forks, front rim, front brake lines... I would buy the whole thing but i dont have money (like everyone else) cuz i just bought a xs400 project... anyway, I have parts to trade (most harley) and a few other cool odds and ends if you wanna make a deal... Im in colorado 80118.. about 40 miles outside of denver... call me if you wanna skip the email B.S.

856-625-2194
Dean

I need the long red plastic pieces that go under the seat. I have no idea what there called. Also need the piece that goes behind the seat but it looks like that is missing? Let me know, jjj_85@yahoo.com, shipped to 50317.

i live in mason city and would be willing to come and get the tank, ignition switch, brake lever, helmet lock/seat lock.....only an hour away

I live in the Minneapolis area too. Do you still have the engine and carbs? I would take pretty much whatever you have left.

Live in Rochester, MN, and I'm looking for parts. I can PM you and let you know what I need.

this guy has not logged in since 6-3-11 don't think he has the bike anymore:shrug:

Back