1979 XS400 Will not start.

Paolo

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, New to the site but have been trolling for quite a while.:wtf: Anyhow appreciate the genius found and thought I should join. 1979 xs400 5000kms. Rebuilt carbs, new NGK plugs, New Yuasa battery. Just put her back together, started once then not again. Electric start keeps going but nothing. Figured I'd try kick starting cause I was getting mad, kicked it over a few times and nothing. Since then Electric start won't even engage.... At all, push the button and nothing. I imagine this has been covered before? If so please point me in the right direction, if not please help!!

check the fuses (in this case the main 20amp). A lot of people have rebuilt the fuse box (me included) cause it is a source of non-starts and other issues.

Also make sure the ground is tight and has a clean touch on the frame

Check the kill switch. By that I mean check that you didn't accidentally flip it to "off."

Check if you get a spark (take a plug out and try to spark it against the engine when kicking it over), if so, put it back in and try spraying some starter spray/brake cleaner spray/carb cleaner/deodorant (anything flammable in a spray, actually) into your air intake

no spark -> electrical problem. Check what Kindest and bcware said
have spark spark but no ignition with spray -> spark too weak, electrical problem
have spark, fires on spray -> carb/petcock issue (do you have fuel in the tank?)

Also it sounds like you've emptied your battery trying to start too long. Charge it before trying anything else

Well thanks for your help so far... Yes sadly I've tried everything you gents have suggested and nothing. Checked the kill switch thought it might have a short - turns out it did that is fixed now. The bike however will still not start, plugs were checked good spark on both. Tank came off and petcock cleaned. Charged the battery and all I seem to get are carbs full of fuel. Bike refuses to start, even with kick start it will turn over and over but will not fire. Any thoughts? Timing? Thanks!

When trying to start, are you applying full choke and NO throttle?

I shudder to suggest it, but have you tried starting fluid? Just a bit to see if it will bark once or twice...

Dollars to donuts- your carbs are all clogged up. Started long enough to suck all manner of schmutz into them.

Back