1981 front drum brake cable

Blu

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I ordered a cable off eBay and the seller had the wrong info on the listing. They are currently trying to find the right cable but have only found one for $107.99. Have you guys ran into this? Is there a cable off another bike that has the correct size threads and the correct length?

Attachments

• 20170308_181918.jpg
    20170308_181918.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 20170308_181943.jpg
    20170308_181943.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 322
  • 20170308_182314.jpg
    20170308_182314.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 20170308_182334.jpg
    20170308_182334.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 308
Try this, as there much more of these around. They are a bit longer than stock (few inches) but should fit. There was a guy on ebay a few yrs ago selling these for $8 shipped for N.O.S but they are long gone now. Ask for measurements before you buy just to make sure. 3F8-26341-00-00 this is the 80-82 oem part number.

Last edited:
That one in the link above is what I ordered, they do not work but I'll do some more hunting with that part number.

That's the part number that should work. They need to remove that ad if it is the wrong part.

I would strongly suggest anyone needing clutch or brake cables to contact these people:

http://www.venhillusa.com/

I was looking for a new or even used front brake cable for the bike in the picture to the left as the one on the bike was way too short.

Gave them either a call or email, forget right now, and for the brake cable they recommended their clutch cable kit.

http://www.venhillusa.com/venhill-universal-motorcycle-clutch-cable-kit.html

With a little soldering of the one end after determining the best length I was good to go, or should I say stop!

Shipping was very fast, seems like only took two days from the time I ordered till I had it on the bike. Now if I could only get that bike to start reliably I'd be happy! But that's for another thread.

I saw your previous post on it and was just talking with my pop about it. Gonna go this route I think. Thanks for the link!

I couldn't for the life of me find a front brake cable for my 79 xs 400 (drum). Motion Pro (out of California), was able to custom build one for me. I sent them the original and they replicated it. $50 u.s. They also do all other cables.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Brake...ash=item4658083fa3:g:ep0AAOSwnbZYFwj0&vxp=mtr Try this, as there much more of these around. They are a bit longer than stock (few inches) but should fit. There was a guy on ebay a few yrs ago selling these for $8 shipped for N.O.S but they are long gone now. Ask for measurements before you buy just to make sure. 3F8-26341-00-00 this is the 80-82 oem part number.
Hey Chris, I notice that this cable has a different end at the brake hub end. Will this be usable with an '80 400G that uses a ball and shank end?

Yes, maybe more of a mushroom shape. The end of both of my 80's cables look like this, not the typical cable end. The regular barrel doesn't fit.
cable.jpg
cable2.jpg

Check my earlier post. I have a cable that was listed for a xt and 78 xs400 bike but it has a different end than the ones now listed on ebay. Not sure if it was a misprint but that was also a few years ago and was aftermarket.
DSC03314.JPG As for OEM 80-82 cables I can't find any new ones at this time. Thank god I have a few used spares on hand if I need them. There maybe other aftermarket company's that have them or can make them.

Thanks Chris, after doing a little guess work, and noticing many shared parts with the 70's RD series bikes, I believe I have another alternative too. https://www.ebay.com/itm/201612335023 It appears to have the same ends and I have asked the vendor to get me the length.If these are correct it offers a price efficient alternative as he has more. I will stock up. If these don't work we will continue the search. After all, isn't the hunt part of the fun? Thanks again!

Back