1981 xs400 Progress

Alex Morales

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I use this sight often to find answers to the many questions I have as a inexperienced bike builder. I have not posted in awhile with updated pictures of the bike but I have made some progress...

InkedBike1_LI.jpg

Since this picture was taken I managed to get a buddy to weld a seat hoop with LED lights on the back of it. Don't mind the crappy seat, I have yet to make a new one. Seeing that I bought this bike when I was 17, it has proven to be mostly an ebay build. The exhaust makes the bike illegal in NY so we will see how I do when trying to get it inspected.

Unfortunately one of my first impulse buys to see if I could get it started right when i bought it, was an new bulky battery. I managed to fit some pod filters on there but cannot convince myself to buy a smaller battery since the one in it is practically brand new! So until I get annoyed of looking at the ugly brick in the middle of the bike there, the battery will stay!

Bike3.JPG

Here you can get a glimpse of the new tachometer, speedometer setup I installed, both work great! I got super lucky with the tires both of these came with the bike and look almost brand new (plus the cool tread).

Got two quick questions (I know im not supposed to deviate from thread topic per forum rules):

Does the xs400 have a specific RPM at which it starts to charge its battery? Since my battery is usually dead I have to jumpstart it with a car haha! But as soon as I remove one of the jumper cables it dies...

Second can anyone drop a link to a thread that would tell me how to connect stock wiring to LED seat hoop wiring? There is one wire per light on the new LED seat hoop and 2 wires per light on stock wiring. (I am incompetent when it comes to electronics)

Hope you all enjoy!

Back