1982 XS400J Maxim Starter? or Electrical Problem?

TruenoMike14

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello! I bought a XS400 Not to long ago. One day riding home it died then the electrical starter wouldn't crank the engine. The starter solenoid would just start clicking like mad and super fast if i held the start button down. I replaced the starter because it seriously smelled like something burnt up inside. and then when i took it apart it look like something burnt up. not sure what.

So, i got the new rebuilt starter, put it in, i heard the engine barely crank really fast then the solenoid starts clicking like mad no matter how long or short i press the starter button. I read other threads where the clicking noise just means its fine and working. I even charged the battery on 1 amp intill fully charged and still clicked like mad.

I'm very very stumped and have no clue what to look for.

I'm more familar with car mechanics than bike mechanics. so, its kind of similar but at the same time not. can anyone help? :wtf

I've seriously felt like just dropping it off at a junkyard today. haven't had the thing no more than 2 weeks and it started this...

I'm gonna post just because I'm here, but you'll probably get one of the pro responses soon, I would try jumping it of the battery charger rather than charging it, maybe if the battery is just shot its not holding enough charge to really get things moving. The starter..solenoid...needs like a solid 11.5 volts to power the starter. I had 11 in my xs400 and it wouldn't start. So hook up a car or a direct start charger to your battery, but thats as far as i can say.:shrug:

Yeah, when i put my multimeter on it, it had about 12.5V then dropped to 12V after cranking it then after some more messing around it went down to 11.5V. Maybe Battery? Im just wondering if the solenoid is suppose to be clicking like mad, like its not contacting or something? If not, somehow or hopefully get it too a bike shop.... I will figure out more in the morning.

I also read somewhere that it could be a bad ground, but i don't know how or where any wiring diagrams are for this bike...

First - it started fine the first time, right?

Second - check the single black wire that goes into the top of the starter (the pop-can sized cylinder under your carbs.) Make sure it's tight, and water tight (there should be a rubber bung that covers the connection.)

Third - Hook your battery up to a trickle charger or jumper cables, and try again.

Report back!

Okay, got some great news. I charged the battery for a really long time. It was at like 14.6V when i took it off. So, i hooked it up, it turned the engine over, everything seemed to be working but the engine sputtered for a few seconds like it was gonna stay running then died. then after a minute of trying to start it. The battery dropped to 12Vand wouldn't turn the starter motor and the solenoid started doing what i was telling all you about, how it would just click like crazy. so, im going to get a new battery when i get paid, in 2 weeks and report back! :) thanks for the help guys though!!!! :D Very much appreciated.

First - it started fine the first time, right?

Second - check the single black wire that goes into the top of the starter (the pop-can sized cylinder under your carbs.) Make sure it's tight, and water tight (there should be a rubber bung that covers the connection.)

Third - Hook your battery up to a trickle charger or jumper cables, and try again.

Report back!

Thanks BentWrench, I did go and check everything like you said to make sure the connection was tight and water tight. I started fine intill the first starter motor seemed to have fried somehow. It smelled horrific on the inside. like its really undescribable. The new rebuilt one i got didn't have the smell, it works good! very happy. Like i said, i will report back when i get a new battery.

Hello;
somebody not know where can I find a wiring Diagram for my XS400J MAXIM 1982

I have the same problem on my 82 maxim xs400 dohc. Same clicking noise from solenoid but runs fine but won't start after I turn it off. Seems like the bike is not charging the battery when running or something. Also where exactly is the starter on this bike? Thanks a ton

The starter rests on the engine below the carbs,looks like a soda can.
Check in the download section where the manuals are there is an electrical selection there...
Check the connections,check the grounds, insure the battery is up to the task.
Sometimes the wires coming from the magneto get cut...check that.
Check the reg/rec....
Could be lots of things but go by elimination.

Back