1982 XS400R Build

Don't hesitate to let us know what you think about it, 100% open for criticism/thoughts.

I have resisted posting my thoughts for a while now because I didn't, and still don't want to bruise any ego's.

I'm going to say that I must be one of the few who thinks the tires you chose look like, well, not good. :( I personally think the Seca doesn't make for a retro styled bike. It was a "naked sport" design with some advanced designs and aggressive styling for it's time. The alloy wheels, DOHC engine and mono shock don't look retro to my eye. Rather, I see the Seca as more like a slim and light weight Cafe just waiting to be revealed.

Vintage tires, in general, are old school junk better suited to photo shoots and posing than riding on. They have been well overdone as one can see by looking at many of the bikes featured on bikeexif. But then again, many of the bikes featured there from "shops" look like low budget amateur builds. I know, as I'm in the process myself with my bike. There certainly are many nicer built bikes to be found here. :thumbsup:

So, there is my $0.01 worth of opinion. I hope I didn't offend. Regardless of what I think, it is your bike and your vision of what it can be. Keep at it and enjoy your creation! :bike:

Mates, sorry for the lack of updates (not sure if anyone cares anyway) but here is where we are at. The bike is still in progress and isn't finished, but is getting there haha.

Did some foam modelling which was fun but horrible at the same time, fibreglassed that which is always exciting (horrible) but was good to learn. This was the first go and just to see how it went, have changed the plan for the back end since then but will probably still glass it eventually as well as make a compartment for under the rear cowl.
IMG_9598_zpsntafdkgk.jpg

IMG_9623_zpso5v8umzy.jpg

IMG_9632_zpsjuram7gc.jpg

IMG_9638_zpszinuqobo.jpg

Don't worry, if it was going to be used, it would of been tidied up a heap more.
IMG_9639_zpsg3xnl1co.jpg

New shock.

IMG_0112_zpsvpnvtgcq.jpg

Welded the rear hoop on and fitted the tail lights, this might change as well once the backend gets finished up but we will see.

IMG_0104_zpskd3s4w2h.jpg

IMG_0114_zpsrcwra2ix.jpg

Excuse the poor quality photo here, it's a bit old, but this is how it sat without the seat foam and the rear cowl.

IMG_0131_zpspllvklak.jpg

The dash hasn't been worked on yet besides what needing to be there is there, we will prototype a few brackets to hide it all nicely with the new 3d printer (which has been a whole lot of fun) and get everything all nice and tidy.

IMG_8393_zpspdascu3v.jpg

We took the bike to a local wizard who pretty much did a full rebuild on the motor which got it running a lot nicer and fixed up a couple of issues and he proved to be a invaluable resource for the build and helped us with a few parts too.

IMG_8388_zps4gyl9qoi.jpg

Got some new mikuni carbs.

IMG_8396_zpskq1git1a.jpg

Don't pay attention the filters being cross eyes, will sort it out.

IMG_8390_zpska6nxks1.jpg

Polishing up the lowers and replacing the stanchions definitely made the front end look a whole lot tidier.

IMG_8394_zpsyswl1tud.jpg

Planning the next rear cowl.

IMG_3021_zps7jnwgnnz.jpg

Now to sort out the exhaust, as right now it is way too loud to be legal in australia, but we can figure that out. Then sort out the seat and finish up the back end. Pull it all apart to powder coat the frame and then tank and cowl paint etc.

So still a while to go, but it is getting there, sorry for the big post but that's what happens when I neglect the thread.

Cheers guys, Sam

are u Finnish with this project ? i am building the same bike, and want to see a complete builded bike. can't find any other cafe racers of the XS400R on the internett !

Back