1982 Yamaha XS400 Maxim

Babcockscott

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I took my engine off last fall and gave it to my guy to put new gaskets on everything due to an oil leak on the lower left side. It always spraed on my inside left boot and I didn't have time to do it myself. Anyway, I remounted the motor this spring, hooked everything back up to the motor and charged my battery. Battery was good so I hooked it up and turned the key and NOTHING. No lights, no horn, no starter, no nothing. I have check everything I can like of with my multi meter and everything checks out. I even hooked up a new ignition to see if that was the problem and I still get nothing when I turn the key. I have one more thing to check, the electrical lighting reley, but I highly doubt that is even it. Meanwhile I am rebuilding the carburetor, just waiting on parts and searching the web for any answers. Everything work perfect befor I took the motor off. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.

You say it doesn't work but everything meters out properly.
More testing maybe?
Trace the wiring from the battery out. Where do you stop reading 12V?
That's where the problem is.

Could be corrosion on the connectors from sitting unconnected so long.
Ditto for the fuse holders.

Do you have continuity between a bare metal spot on your frame and the battery negative? You can also check it for resistance. It should be no higher than a few ohm's.

You've checked all the fuses? With the fuses installed and key on, check voltage across the fuses (on both sides of the fuses to ground, to make sure power is flowing through them) and battery negative.

How is the ground connection from the battery negative to the engine?

This is just going to be one of those things where you likely have to go over all the connections to make sure they're correct and test for power or ground to see where the problem is.

Back