75 DT100B

steeze

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I got this wreck of a bike for free from a buddy... It's a 1975 Yamaha DT100b and it's in really rough shape. Here are some pics of it when I got it last night..

The bike is missing a few pieces.. the wiring is trashed.. the engine is in terrible shape.. essentially the whole bike needs help. The frame isn't too trashed or rusted, the tires are decent some of the parts are in decent shape. I started tearing into the bike last night around 9 and by 1am I had it mostly broken down.. I tried to take some more pics this time

Here's some pics of the engine and whatnot... This is where Im unsure if the engine can be saved... There's lots of orangish goop and the engine was absolutely filthy... My buddy said the engine probably needed to be replaced but im really hoping to restore it instead. Parts are a little hard to come by with this bike so i'd like to restore what i've got.

Im wondering what you guys think about the state of the engine and if it looks repairable... I think it is but wanted some opinions. I know it's not a XS but it's still a yamaha. Any and all advice is appreciated...

In my experience 70"s era Yamaha 2 strokes are nearly indestructible. Me and my buddies beat the livin' crap out of the ones we had at the time and they almost never broke down. A good teardown and cleanup to remove 40 years of goo in the intake and oil system as well as cleanup of the piston and combustion chamber and you should be good to go.

prob need a hone and new rings at the minimum. hopefully there's gearbox oil in there so that should be ok.

the white on the ally protects the metal underneath so should come up ok.

If it were mine, I'd strip the engine down completely and check the seals!

Back