77 XS400 Runs Great Except For...........

PROMARINE77

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Looking for someone who may have had this problem or could tell me where to start first. My XS is mostly stock except for electronic ignition and clubmans.

After warmed up and riding about 20 minutes at full speed, when I turn on my turn signal the bike will actually die for a brief moment. As far as I can remember it has only done it at highway speed and RPM's. It's like everything shuts down, but only for one second or so and it comes right back.

Anybody familiar with what this might possibly be or what I should start checking or changing out first?

I agree that it may be a bad ground.Check the ground wire and clean the connection with a small wire brush,and put a little dielectric grease on the connector on both the ignition unit and the turn signals. Also check to make sure the battery is fully charged and that the charging circuit is good. lha

I've checked all the grounds that I could see and it never has a weak battery when I start it. I forgot to mention, sometimes at idle, the blinker I select will stay on until I give it a little rev and then it starts blinking. Could that be a sign of something?

I may be wrong, but i had something similar but it wasn't when i used the indicators it did it any time. I eventually found that my main fuse was loose and knocked the whole bike out.

It may be a coinsidence that it happens when you use the indicators or i could be just leading you up the garden path. Give it a look sometimes its the simplest of things that we over look. :shrug:

I think I may have found the problem - a crappy fuse box. The fins were barely holding the fuses so I tried to bend one so it would hold the fuse tighter and it easily broke off. I'm going to just replace the fuse box. Anybody know which fuse box to use on a 77? I have found three different types - 4A , 4B, and 5A. Anybody know the diff and which one to use?

just found this on ebay listing which will clarify the differences

We have produced 4 versions of this box to suit various models including those that had the fusebox originally part of the main loom. So - there are 2 types of entry point to the box, 2 lengths of wiring and 2 sets of fuse ratings for each version. These four boxes are a direct replacement for:

XS360-400-500-650-750-1100

RD250-350-400

RZ350

XJ650-750-900

THIS LISTING IS FOR OUR VERSION "5A" WHICH IS:

Short Cable (100mm)

Fuses fitted - 10A-10A-10A-20A

THIS LISTING IS FOR OUR VERSION "5B" WHICH IS:

Long Cable (200mm)

Fuses fitted - 10A-10A-10A-20A

THIS LISTING IS FOR OUR VERSION "4A" WHICH IS:

Short Cable (100mm)

Fuses fitted - 5A-15A-15A-20A

THIS LISTING IS FOR OUR VERSION "4B" WHICH IS:

Long Cable (200mm)

Fuses fitted - 5A-15A-15A-20A

you want the 5 series

Thanks for that advise ya'll. I like the idea of replacing it with the blade type fuses, but may still go with the stock box. Drewpy, since I have a connector on mine, that means I would go with the 5A short? I think the short has the connector and the long is for one directly wired to the harness?

Definitely replace your fuse box as it is a source of many problems with our bikes.

This bears repeating since we have numerous new members who may not have seen posts on this issue. One of the weakest points about our old bikes and can be the source of many problems for those not familiar with the issue. Several cures but whichever direction you go, do it NOW! Better to cure a potential problem before it strands you somewhere on the road. My '80 has new twist lock weather resistant fuse holders installed by a P.O. but I still put a new old style original on top of those holders so at first glance the bike looks stock. Even has fuses in the clips and spares in the box top. The pigtail with connector is tucked in under the box.

BTW, make certain there is a vent hose connected to your battery vent nipple and that the hose drops all the way down to just below the swing arm. Battery gas vented directly at the fuse box causes the connectors to corrode and get brittle, sometimes even breaking off when touched. Fuses don't make a good connection and the gremlins set in.

i had a battery lose one of its caps and spray acid all over my fuseblock once.corroded it so bad i had no juice at all.i replaced it with 4 single blade connecters i found at advanced auto after i got the fuse for the ignition cleaned enough for the bike to run.rewired it in parking lot.not fun in the dark

Go to a boat shop or auto parts store and get a breaker box.They're sold as control panels for customizing boats,cars,etc.instead of fuses,they have resettable breakers.Just get the correct strength of breaker,and voila! lha

Go to a boat shop or auto parts store and get a breaker box.They're sold as control panels for customizing boats,cars,etc.instead of fuses,they have resettable breakers.Just get the correct strength of breaker,and voila! lha

Nice idea.saves money on replacing fuses in the long run.:thumbsup:

Back