78 XS400 Find

joey13091

XS400 Member
Reaction score
First off I want to say hello to everyone. I just signed up for an account here because i just picked up an XS400. A guy i previously purchased a 75 Suzuki TC185 from had it in his garage. He gave it to me for free. All i had to do was haul it away. He had never done anything to it. It was and is very dusty from sitting in his garage. But other than the dust it is in pretty incredible shape with only 3k miles on it. All the lights work well surprisingly. Front and rear brake master cylinders were seized up, dirty gas in tank and carbs, no key, and no battery.

So far I have cleaned the tank and carbs, replaced miscellaneous carb parts, cleaned brake lines and master cylinders, new battery, and had keys made for it.

I did try starting it and it ran pretty well. Right now i am waiting for a new petcock valve then i will install the tank and try starting it again. I will also need new air filters, plugs, and tires soon. I also purchased some fake leather material to re wrap the seat with.

My first question here on the forum is about tire sizes and brand. What size for the front and rear work well on these bikes? And is there any particular brand that people go with?

Thank you for reading and I hope to contribute to the community here in the future.
20170711_190102.jpg
IMG-20170722-WA0002.jpeg

Welcome.

If you actually plan on riding it, id get new brake lines.

As for tires. Anything around 3.5x18 should be fine. Im not sure about the modern day conversion sizing?

I went with Heidenau K34 3.25x18 on the front and 3.5x18 in the back. They look really good especially on spoked wheels.

Well, my bike has a manual drum in the back. The front brake, I bought a new master from Mikes XS and picked up a new custom length Goodridge Shadow SS brake line along with their custom bend fittings from Dime City.

I ended up rebuilding the entire front brake system. Picked up a used caliper because mine was seized, Bought a caliper rebuild kit, new piston, new pads, new lines and fittings, new MC.

I didnt want to shortcut on the front brake.. You probably dont need to go as far as I have especially if the caliper doesnt leak and the rubber isnt torn. You need a new line and fluid at the very least.

Welcome from another Washingtonian.

Looks like a good start and I picked up my tired for my build off Amazon. Also got the tubes there and found a local shop who mounted them. Some shops may not want to mount unless you buy from them so ask first. Maybe you have a local shop?

I also had to re do the brakes on mine. Rear had to be upgraded to a bembro as they don't make them anymore. Front I just replaced with a master from Mikes.

Back