78 xs400 losing one cylinder

Mike Mattia

thatonekidwhoneedshelp
Reaction score
so ive got a 1978 xs400E thats having some issues, not sure if they are all related. i have a parts bike which is all there. ive already swapped the engine out of it and put it in the working bike. the previous engine was smoking and singing like a song bird in the bottom end. these problems arose after the swap. valves are in spec, timing set properly, everything is as it should be mechanically. pictures below, engine sat for a few years and has roughly 14000 on it according to old speedo.

1. ive got a hanging idle when hot, when cold it comes back down no problem, it will hang around 3k when i pull in the clutch and roll to a red light after having held a steady rpm down the road, the problem will go away if i slowly let the clutch out while in gear at a stop, as the engine comes under load it will drop the rpm to idle. sometimes it idles and stays, other times it idles for half a second and then drops to around 600 or 700 rpm but usually doesnt die completely.
2. my left side cylinder is lean as hell, right side is nice and brown. im aware this and the previous issue are due to an air leak someplace.
3. at idle (1200-1400 rpm) while hot im losing my right cylinder. it sounds like a single cylinder and i can pull the right plug with no difference in sound whatsoever, this is how i know im losing the right cyl. i gain it back after idle no questions asked, i can pull the plug on the right while im riding and its obvious that im losing a cylinder.
4. my mixture screws dont seem to do a damn thing. ive blown the carbs out proper and hit all passageways with carb cleaner and air compressor. still acts the same.
5. while trying to adjust mixture screws one day i melted both coils simultaneously, which was baffling to me. i replaced with coils from parts bike, right side coils used to always get warm after a ride.

im the type to freak out when a problem arises rather then be able to sit and figure it out, so im kind of at witts end with this one. help would be greatly appreciated!
$_59 (7).JPG
$_59 (8).JPG
$_59 (7).JPG
$_59 (7).JPG
$_59 (8).JPG
$_59 (9).JPG

Sound like you pilot mix screws might be broken off in the carbs. This happens with those year carbs. Make sure that hasn't happened and the carbs are fully cleaned and synced with a manometer. Another thing to check is the diaphragms for holes and cracks.

The pilot jet is kind of confusing me. There's a jet covered by a flathead next to the main in the float and another jet on the air intake side of the carb. What am I looking at?

The one covered by the screw is your pilot jet. Be careful removing it but you need to in order to clean it. The one in the bell of the carb is an air jet. If it's clean and in good shape just leave it.

Lost cylinder is due to a severely rich condition. Without the vacuum line attached I'm the right side it picks that cylinder back up. Im at the point where I'm now looking to toss these overly complicated and finicky CVK style carbs. Does anybody know of any flat slide or round slide carbs that are close to plug and play for this engine? I'd like to pick some up.

Back