78 xs400

Chowpatty

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
hey guys I'm looking to get my hand dirty on my xs 400. Here's what it looks like and what I want to do to it. I have no clue where to start but I have tools, time, and money please help.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    767.2 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 162
  • image.png
    image.png
    681.1 KB · Views: 152
If I had one that looked that nice I'd just ride as is! I would hate to ruin what looks to be an almost perfect bike!

If you do decide to modify it be sure to carefully save all the parts you take off as I and others here would like to relieve you of them!

Personally I think I'd trade it with a guy in Princeton Mn. I personally know him. He's a really nice guy with 2 1980 XS400's and I'm SURE he'd be able to make arrangements with you. Back to reality!!!!! I'd do a complete restore if either of mine were in such visually great shape!!! If you want to build café or some other type custom PLEASE find a running donor. These bikes are becoming hard to find unmolested and with your near prime example It'd be a shame to strip chop customize & reassemble & drive. But yet it'd also be astoundingly satisfying. SAVE the extra parts!!!!!!!

I would restore it back to factory. From what I can see it would need oem mufflers, handle bars, mirrors and seat cover. These are hard to find in this close to factory condition. If you want to cut up a bike find a junk one for that.

Looks great already! :thumbsup:
I was at a bike show recently and it was the nicely restored stock bikes getting all the attention, not the modified ones.

Personally I think I'd trade it with a guy in Princeton Mn. I personally know him. He's a really nice guy with 2 1980 XS400's and I'm SURE he'd be able to make arrangements with you. Back to reality!!!!! I'd do a complete restore if either of mine were in such visually great shape!!! If you want to build café or some other type custom PLEASE find a running donor. These bikes are becoming hard to find unmolested and with your near prime example It'd be a shame to strip chop customize & reassemble & drive. But yet it'd also be astoundingly satisfying. SAVE the extra parts!!!!!!!

It's also for sale. Just under 9,000 miles text me and make an offer 847 624 0729

Back