79 XS4002E

MarloMcQueen

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to motorcycles and this is my first build. Fortunately I have lots of help. I have a 79 XS4002e and am going for a cafe/tracker style. I've run into a problem lacing the wheels. I bought new black 18" front and rear aluminum rims from MikesXS(1.85"x18" & 2.15"x18") My problem is I ordered SS Spokes but didn't realize they were for the xs650. The mechanic lacing my wheels managed to lace the front wheel but the spokes for the rear hub and rim were too short. I want to order a custom set for the rear from Buchanan's but I don't know the specs for the rear wheel. I foolishly cut through the old spokes and threw them away so I can't even measure them or send them a sample. Can someone tell me what size spokes to order for my rear wheel please? Also I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot.

Hey, I'm in Roslin (just past Tweed, not far from you). I ordered spokes from XS650direct (Canadian side of Mikes site right here in Ontario) and they worked great for me. Part #19-0049 is for the rear.

I have a few extra (they send 40 rather than 36) so I can measure them for you or you can come pick one up to send off to them. Can have a look and maybe you decide you like them? They are cadmium plated and look like chrome.

I also have a chrome set I bought on ebay (listed to fit the xs400) that must be for a different bike because they didn't work so you can compare the finishes.

Also, I don't mind helping out if you have any problems. Lacing/truing, mechanical, electrical or otherwise. save the money for parts, not a mechanics pocket. I just nearly finished up my first xs400 build for my wife too.

I'm going to wait for a response from Buchanan's to see if my bike is in their database. I really want stainless steel since that's what I have on the front wheel. I have replaced a lot on my bike , parts that were still good, just because I was going for a certain look. Are you on Facebook? Search Farley A. Tokley and friend me and I can send you pix if you need any of my parts. Also you can send me your address on Facebook too. Or text me 613-661-7222

I would definitely send them an inner and outer spoke. I recently went through hell with those people. Said they had em on file, then came back wanting measurements. Send them a set and just have them copy em.

Back