80 xs Blinker issues

jigm400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed new turn signals on my bike (bulbs not LEDs) they light but wont flash. i know the flasher relay works. but my electrical knowledge is about as in depth as black wire red wire. do i need to install an additional ground or change how the negative is wired in. any help would be appreciated.

Is the bike running when you try the indicators? If the battery is low then there might not be enough power to turn the relay over. They will then work when running. You can also try to tap the relay slightly. If the indicators then change status you should be fine.

When you installed the turn signals, did you just change them or did you do anything with the wiring?

battery is at full charge, are there different resistance relays? i ride this bike every day so it was just a blinker change no customer wire job or anything

The same thing happened to me when I switched to a smaller standard bulb signal setup; they don't draw enough current and need more resistance. It seems like the original standard bulbs on all the lights draw a lot more current than the modern bulbs sold today. I would buy some load resistors from radio shack and solder them in-line with the new signals. If you want to prove to yourself that this is the problem take an extra bulb and mock wire it in line with the new signals and see if they function properly. If the load of the extra bulb makes them flash properly you know the new ones just aren't drawing enough power.

yeah that's a good point, i figured going from bulb to bulb would be an easy switch. this dam weird Yamaha electrical system. i will go see if i can figure something out. the new blinkers look sick though ill post pictures later.

If you installed the correct wattage bulb in your new lamps as the original, the current draw will be the same! No way to make a filament bulb of the same watts and voltage draw less amps. Either you have new bulbs of lower wattage or something else in the system isn't right. Lower wattage equals fewer amps drawn on the circuit which may not trigger the relay. Stock wattage for the signal light bulbs is 21W. When everything is right - proper voltage, bulb, relay, ground = there is no need for resistors or anything else. The exception, of course, is LED bulbs. Since they draw only a fraction of the amps of filament bulbs, when installed in an older system you need to upgrade to an electronic flasher (relay). Your new bulbs are most likely lower wattage than the old flasher is designed for. A new electronic flasher should work and negate the need for resistors.

Last edited:
Back