80 xs400 running poorly

xamnay

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there. i Recently got my bike up and running again after replacing the batterly with a new one i baught of mikexs.

I'v road it for a week with no problems, but the last two days the bike has been stalling after coming to a stop at stop lights, almost every time I come to a completle stop with out rolling a bit on the throttle it stalls. after 2 or 3 stalls in the middle of the road the electric started stopped working. it sounds like it is not even able to turn the engine. it will make maybe one or two really bad sounding attempts to start then do nothing. at that point i started using the kick starter. that worked half the time, the other half i would find a hill to push start the bike. at this point i barly got the bike home and the last half mile or so the bike really just didn't sound like it was running properly. it sounded like it was working way to hard when i would roll on the throttle. and when i came to a stop in my garage it could barly get up the drive way and then stalled as soon as i came to a stop with the clutch in.

At this point im not sure how i should aproach this problem. should i change out the spark plugs coils and other parts that are related to the ingnition system. or should i completly dismantle the carburator, clean everything out and replace any gaskets/o rings that are warn?

Hope you guys can help, just my luck that as soon as the sun starts shining in Oregon my bike breaks.:doh:

wow that sounds just like the problems i was having then i started doing sum research here and found a few places to start . i bought new intake boots from a guy in canada www.siriusconinc.com (58.74) for 2 new boots and 2 gaskets , got it started but still no luck. then i looked into the carbs (to clean and adjust float) cause on here they say it should b set @26mm . but im hung up right now cause i hav 1 of the pilot jets stripped and can not get it out ?????? so im in the same boat but just keep looking on this site and talking to others . something will turn up for us !

Before you start breaking into it, try jumping it with a known good battery. If yours is shot, that would make you stall at low RPM since there is nothing to fire the spark with since the alternator doesn't give any real power until ~4k RPM. On the other hand, if you have yet to clean the carbs recently they may be due for it.

Hi there. i Recently got my bike up and running again after replacing the batterly with a new one i baught of mikexs.

I'v road it for a week with no problems, but the last two days the bike has been stalling after coming to a stop at stop lights, almost every time I come to a completle stop with out rolling a bit on the throttle it stalls. after 2 or 3 stalls in the middle of the road the electric started stopped working. it sounds like it is not even able to turn the engine. it will make maybe one or two really bad sounding attempts to start then do nothing. at that point i started using the kick starter. that worked half the time, the other half i would find a hill to push start the bike. at this point i barly got the bike home and the last half mile or so the bike really just didn't sound like it was running properly. it sounded like it was working way to hard when i would roll on the throttle. and when i came to a stop in my garage it could barly get up the drive way and then stalled as soon as i came to a stop with the clutch in.

At this point im not sure how i should aproach this problem. should i change out the spark plugs coils and other parts that are related to the ingnition system. or should i completly dismantle the carburator, clean everything out and replace any gaskets/o rings that are warn?

Hope you guys can help, just my luck that as soon as the sun starts shining in Oregon my bike breaks.:doh:

I had the same problem with min. My neighbor put 3 starters on it and it finally worked. Then this spring, I couldn't get a spark. Found the wires for the starter switch had a bad connection in the headlight bucket. They are re/white(goes to TCI), red/white (goes to fuse box and solenoid, and blu/white (which connects the starter button. Now I'm getting the same poor response from the starter again. I kick start it now. I can't figure out what is going on. Sorry!

I think im close to a solution!

so last night before getting into the carb clean. i checked out my spark plugs and noticed the left one was very sutty and covered in black carbon. I figured this must mean im running too rich so i check out the air filters and they were both soaked with oil! I just ordered some new ones

do you guys think i was just not getting enough air into the carbs?

Are you sure it was oil, or maybe fuel? If it's fuel, you ought to check your float heights. If fuel is spilling out of your float bowls, it will have likely reached your crankcase as well. Before running the bike again, I would suggest pulling your carbs to fix up the float heights or valves and then inspect your oil. If it smells gassy, change it out for fresh motorcycle oil of the same weight.
It could have easily been a lean condition, but the best way to check would be to try the new filters with a fresh battery.
Best of luck :thumbsup:

Damn just went to take another look at the filters that i set aside on a plate in my garage and they reek of fuel along with my garage :doh:. So i'm thinking next steps are too buy new filters take crabs out, fix float level. put it all back together, change the oil and see how it runs?

thanks for the advice Richmond

Hey so i took both air filters off tied the electric starter. that wont even turn the engine. tried the kick start got close but no luck. at this point the only thing that will get the bike going it rolling it down a hill and popping the clutch with the choke out. at that point the bike will run but you cant ever lay off the throttle or the bike will stall.

so to re cap

the bike wont start unless its push started

the problem wasn't clogged air filters because it still stalls when the air filters aren't even on

while running the bike has to have the coke out and if the rpms drop bellow 2000 the bike stalls.

what are your guys thoughts?

Ok I am by far no expert. I learned alot on this forum.
The air filters have to be on for the bike to breath properly.
Also, standard batteries when new need to be trickle charged for enough time to get a full charge. Every time the battery gets fully drained it can cause damage to the battery,even new ones.
Put it on a trickle/maintainer type charger specifically for motorcycle maintenance. Some come with l.e.d. indicater lights telling you if battery is charged...charging.... or kapudt.
Like Psuedo and JAR suggested, checking for dead battery(or fresh battery) is propably a good place to start.Then figure out why the air filters were flooded and plugs fouled.
Start reading up on carberator/tune up threads here on the forum and get a xs400 shop manual- also on this forum.
Most if not all issues you will come up against have been covered somewhere by somebody on this forum.Do thread searches using key words.This forum is such a wonderful resource.
Most issues you will find are carberator/fuel delivery related, followed by spark/ignition system problems.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8070&highlight=air+fuel+spark+compression

Check that thread it might have some useful info?
Good luck Yan the man!

Back