Over speeding Following Carb cleaning and float adjust

The Wang

XS400 Member
Reaction score
The other day I cleaned out my carbs/adjusted the floats, I didn't mess with any of the settings on it however after putting them back on and running it, there's no longer a flooding issue but it's over speeding. I lowered the idle and it does nothing, I took the gas tank off to see if the cable was catching but it's not, anyone know what it could be?

Last edited:
When it was flooding before it would at least idle, it started flooding when I put half a tank of gas it in, I figured since I had such a low amount of fuel previously it didn't flood.

Check the throttle cable routing. On my final assembly I got it wrong and turning left would increase the throttle. Try rotating the handle bars to center and see if it changes.

Check the throttle cable routing. On my final assembly I got it wrong and turning left would increase the throttle. Try rotating the handle bars to center and see if it changes.
I previously checked the cable routing, it's clear, also upon further testing it dies when I take it of choke, and backfires(very slightly) on a higher fuel setting(from the tank), I think there might be an air leak against the block, but I don't see why it's over speeding. I understand these carbs have to be adjusted and set with a monometer, I was wondering if that could play a part, when I took the carbs apart to clean them I noticed heavy wear in the fasteners, so I know someone had been taking them apart a lot before I bought it

Back