Air filters soaked

jrp123

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need a bit of advice, have a 1981 and had gas leak through both carbs and drip out of the air filters. The filters were both soaked with the gas. Rebuilding the petcock, hopefully that will fix that issue. Was wondering if I should clean out the air filters by gently washing them in a degreasing solution to get the gas out then dry them out. Hate to buy new ones because of the cost. But also do not want to damage the carbs in any way. She ran great last year and spring is just around the corner.
Thanks

I'd just let them dry out. I guess you could spray them out with carb cleaner, but I wouldn't bother...and I had this issue 2 years ago and I just let them dry.

Thanks,

They are dried out, hoping the rebuild of the petcock is all I need. Floats may need to be changed but it ran great and strong last year. Going 80+ on the freeways with no porblems. Hate to mess with the carbs if I dont have to.

One other question, if I do have to change the floats do I have to remove the carbs? or can I just drop the float bowls?

You will have to remove the carbs- but that a 15-20 minute job the first time and under 10 every time after that. The extra time the first time is when you try to do it leaving the airfilters and intake in place...then you realize it's easier to take the filters all the way off and pull the intake back.

I'd just let them dry out. I guess you could spray them out with carb cleaner, but I wouldn't bother...and I had this issue 2 years ago and I just let them dry.
I agree, i replaced the foam element on mine anyway since it was so cheap. I plan to get new ones from, i think, partsnmore but yes, cost.

You will have to remove the carbs- but that a 15-20 minute job the first time and under 10 every time after that. The extra time the first time is when you try to do it leaving the airfilters and intake in place...then you realize it's easier to take the filters all the way off and pull the intake back.

With airboxes off I somehow have made it a habit of just removing the battery box and found a way to sneaky them in without removing air ducts. Is that cheating? HA :) It's a 78 2E tho

Back