Air Filters - Will this work?

226dark

78 2E
Reaction score
Going cheap here maybe but got some foam made for a lawnmower (or something) filter which can be ordered seperately, foam piece only. $3.52 each w/tax. I'm guessing it will work ok. Notice the o-ring from hardware store; the oem grommets are shot and i'll get them later maybe.
My real question is oil or no? I plan to use K&N Air Fillter oil which I have. I saw in Clymer manual a NOTE of caution that "the element is foam rubber and must be kept free of water and oil". (p. 69).
I have read elsewhere the opposite and that it's not the foam that filters at all, rather the oil in the foam which dust sticks to. I would agree with that and have also heard certain oils are better to use. Besides the K&N what is best to use?

DSC00628.jpg

DSC00629.jpg

DSC00630.jpg

whale oil beef hooked

oil if you want to, you will have to periodically wash it out and re-oil every service!

I always thought K&N oil was not meant for foam filters but meant for the gauze filters. I swore I specifally read that somewhere (something about the k&n oil being too thin) and I had to buy a dirt bike oil that said foam for my unipods. The stuff I got was KawaChem Foam Oil from the local Kawasaki dealer (yamaha was closed the day I was trying to get it done). But ya a lot of people have done that same setup with the foam and works good from what I've heard.

Foam acts as a filter by itself. Gauze needs help. K&n filters use oil to boost performance. After all you'd fine you can do a better jusb dusting your home if you add some moisture to your rag. As long as the oil isn't to heavy (may give a rich mixture and has been known to coat MAF sensors on cars over time) and doesn't dissolve the foam element it should help your filter pick up the really tiny particulates . I say add your k&n oil. It won't hurt a thing and will most likely help. Hell I've even gone so far as to use remingtons gun oil once or twice when I haven't had access to a store and all I had was my clothes a shotgun and my toolkit and cleaning kit. Hope this was helpful / informative

I've read that too but who the hell wants to deal with that mess on their legs when you accidentally rub up on your filter. I use KnN oil on my foam uni's without problems yet. If you're worried, change your oil more often.

I'll throw a monkey wrench into the works. Personally, I am not a fan of oiled air filters. While it may work without damage to our older carb engines, it can be death to modern fuel injection systems. IMHO, it's just not necessary. Stock filters do just fine. Sure does make a LOT of money for K&N, though!

I'll throw a monkey wrench into the works. Personally, I am not a fan of oiled air filters. While it may work without damage to our older carb engines, it can be death to modern fuel injection systems. IMHO, it's just not necessary. Stock filters do just fine. Sure does make a LOT of money for K&N, though!

I have to agree. Whoever changed mine out originally used oiled filters. It performs much better without.

Here is what they ended up looking like:
2012-04-03182153.jpg

THAT makes me glad i opted not to use air filter oil. For so cheap I have a couple extras of the foam filter replacement. That was handy since after flooding over the carbs once and soaking the right side filter, in 5 minutes I had a fresh new and dry one in rather than wait for it to air dry. The bike breathes good and runs great without any oil and am going to keep it that way :thumbsup:

I may reconsider the air filter oil after reading this. My oil change the other day after just 800 miles was pretty dirty and I have yet to look at the air filters, then again these bikes don't exactly have ram air and airbox directly into the elements and they are no RSV.

While the RSV4 uses a quality K&N-style cotton-gauze air filter, Aprilia leaves it dry to improve airflow. That’s fine on a racebike that will have its engine rebuilt every season, but insufficient protection for a bike expected to last tens of thousands of miles. With no oil on the gauze to capture dust, the inside of the airbox was coated in a thick layer of grime that extended down into the velocity stacks. Yikes! After washing the airbox and cleaning and oiling the filter with K&N filter oil ($8.18; www.knfilters.com) I drained the contaminated engine oil and changed the oil filter. If you own an RSV4, oil your air filter ASAP!
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/doing_time/122_1110_aprilia_rsv4r/

I went ahead and ordered this part from Napa to repair my old filters. Can you comment on how this is working for you? Did you use glue to secure the foam, or just wrapped it around? Which oil did you end up using? Stock carb settings working ok?

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered this part from Napa to repair my old filters. Can you comment on how this is working for you? Did you use glue to secure the foam, or just wrapped it around? Which oil did you end up using? Stock carb settings working ok?

Just wrapped it around, circular cutout, then in place shortened the foam piece. No glue but fit just right that edges can be tucked in nicely. It happens to work great on stock settings and then decided to use a light application of K&N filter oil. The air filter oil at the cycle shop in aerosol can, i'm told is way to thick and way goopy messy. After running it with the K+N filter oil it runs same as without. I clean with the K&N cleaner and air dry then use different 2 foam filters (already cleaned and dry) to replace right away. The first time i cleaned them i actually put them in the clothes dryer and they came out fine - replaced within 15 minutes. :laugh:

Back