Another dumb exhaust question

SussexSlammer

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
image.jpeg I lost one of my mufflers in the ghetto and I ain't going back for it. They were biltwell shorties, and they're like a 100 bucks a pop. Whatever. I was actually able to find a used 2 into 1 exhaust for the bike, but while that's on its way am I going to be okay running open pips? I know some guys do it, but then I've got a couple of mosquitos in my ear saying that you can muff up your rings or your valves by doing so. The header should be at my doorstep next Tuesday, but I finally got this thing running and she'll be seeing about 3 hours of run time a day until then. Am I worrying about nothing here?

Shameless bike plug to round this thread out.

And I clearly don't know what I'm doing when it comes to posting on this site. Bear with me guys, I'm working off an iPhone here.

Per your warning, I trecked back through the north side in search of my muffler. It's beat to snot, but I found it.

:hijack:
Hey I am totally piggy backing off your question here but I slashed my mufflers and in effect made them a straight pipe. Bike is not in running state yet but I thought I would rock the pipes like that until I could upfront getting new ones. How is running straight pipes bad for the motorcycle? (I only thought it'd be unbearably loud.)

Also, where did you get those killer tires?

From what I've been told, the lack of back pressure can damage the valves/rings. Not sure how, or why, but I ain't about to risk it. If you're interested I have a set of stock pipes stepped up to 1 3/4" to accommodate a set of biltwell mufflers I'd be willing to let go of. For the right price of course haha

The tires are Avon road riders. Pricy, but pretty grippy and pretty mean looking. I can message you with the tire sizes once I'm home if you'd like

I have the header pipes (and had the stock mufflers till I chopped them on an impulse) but I guess I am now in the business of shopping some shorty's sooner than I thought.

As far as your tires, are they tubeless? Is that even a possibility with our stock rims?

In 1980 the mag bikes went suitable for tubeless. Before that they required tubes.

Back