Another muffler replacement question....

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Mi bike came with slash shorties and were too loud for me.. Last year I found a set of Hooker tuned flow exhaust on Craigslist real cheap and put them on. Should have done my homework as they were not much quieter. Once the RPMs go up, I sounded like a dragster.

So now I'm in the market again... Noticed the OEM had a T type cross pipe. Not sure how important that is. Got a budget of about $200. There is a slightly beat up oem on ebay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/370866509435?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT ) for about $200 or several other universal after market models.

Would prefer new mufflers and just paint my old headers black. When looking at universal models, what diameter do I try and match. The o/d is 1.55" ( 4.875/3.14 ) if I measured correctly..or is it the i/d I need to use?

Lastly, I don't mind a slightly louder sound. Just not obnoxiously loud - but that is pretty subjective.. Thanks for any suggestions!

OK...it is between the" Dunstall Style" muffler from Mike's - either with the removable fiberglass baffle or one with a non removable metal baffle.

Any idea of the sound difference?

Back