Anyone know what a 0-60 time is for an old xs?

karatekid1194

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I realized today that I have had my xs for over 2 years and hadnt yet done a no holds barred 0-60 run. So I flogged it a little and the little thing surprised me :D anyone know haw quick a 1980 xs400 is supposed to do it in? it honestly felt pretty quick, around 6 or 7 seconds even. I'm not sure though.

A stock SOHC will probably do 14s in the quarter, so I'd say mid 5s for a 0-60 time. I've had quite a lot of weight taken off mine; only serious sports cars can take me below 60 mph.

A stock SOHC will probably do 14s in the quarter, so I'd say mid 5s for a 0-60 time. I've had quite a lot of weight taken off mine; only serious sports cars can take me below 60 mph.

14 seconds in a quarter mile? You sure about that because my little 400 wont even hit 100 mph. 14 seconds seems fast, but I suppose i've also never tried it!

In my case, I'm still measuring, but it's been about 6 months.

:D Yeah they are no speed demons. Case in point: when I roll on at highway speeds to pass someone the bike yells "Why do you want me to make more noise?" I eventually make my way around though.

With the weight reduction (mine is very light) I have done, pods, free-flow exhaust, slightly over sized tires, etc, I am pretty confident I could do 14s in the quarter with 0-60s in something like 5 or 6 seconds. My 1978 should be able to exceed 100 mph (it has plenty of revs left at 85 mph).

I have an impreza; a well documented car in terms of performance, and my xs400 is definitely quicker. Last season I beat a newer nissan maxima that tried to race me off the line and he even got the jump on me. These are not slow cars, so beating one is impressive on this motorcycle even taking in to account that the driver may have been poor.

I will do more solid testing once the weather gets into the 50s (F) around here; it will probably be a few weeks.

With the weight reduction (mine is very light) I have done, pods, free-flow exhaust, slightly over sized tires, etc, I am pretty confident I could do 14s in the quarter with 0-60s in something like 5 or 6 seconds. My 1978 should be able to exceed 100 mph (it has plenty of revs left at 85 mph).

I have an impreza; a well documented car in terms of performance, and my xs400 is definitely quicker. Last season I beat a newer nissan maxima that tried to race me off the line and he even got the jump on me. These are not slow cars, so beating one is impressive on this motorcycle even taking in to account that the driver may have been poor.

I will do more solid testing once the weather gets into the 50s (F) around here; it will probably be a few weeks.

nice one, let us know how you get on :D

Back