Bike from hell

PIRATEGINGER

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have been reading this forum for a long time and taking in and utilizing all of the information that I possibly can, but my bike STILL wont run right.
I took it to a seasoned veteran bike mechanic and he said that he did everything he could and it ran great for a few days.
He adjusted the points, timing, (I had the head done previously), and did a lot of work to fit up my carbs the best he could...the mixture screws, someone broke off the tips in the carbs before I got it so he had to drill them and so they are not 100% proper, but he adjusted them so it worked great...but like I said, only for a couple days.
Took it out today after fixing rear tire and it started acting up...idle climbs/dies at a stop, little bit of smoke coming from crankcase breather, and popping/back for on left cylinder.
Just lost as to what to do now...I feel I had/have done everything I possibly can (and properly), but it's right f*%$ed...
Someone give me some advise or pointers please cause I really am ready to give up on this rig...
20180601_152245.jpg

It's the seat that he drilled out...he said with new screws then wouldn't seat correctly regardless.
Would they rattle at all while driving enough that it would make it run worse and worse??

Drilled pilot screws with the wrong drills will ruin the carbs and it will never run right. Your type of exhaust and pods directly on the carbs also not going to help.

I would look for a set off an 80-82 sohc bike. Those are made better and parts are easier to get. They also have a better designed pilot mix screw setup that don't break off into carbs.

Back