Bike shuts off at stop.

78 inxs400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this and electrical is my weakest link.

I have a custom 78 cafe that sometimes starts and runs fine and other days wont stay running. Recently i put 250 miles on it in one day with no issues till the next day. I was riding and at the first stop the bike shut down. it started right back up. At the next stop sign she shut down again. Head light was off and wouldn't start. tapped on the light and it came on bike started and off I went trying to get home without stopping again. Ended up pushing it about a half mile till I could bump start it on a hill and got her home. I put it on a battery tender and charged it up. next day same issue, won't stay running. When stopping the front forks compress and that seems to kill the bike. at a stand still when running I can compress the forks by pushing on the bars and this kills the bike.
Does anyone own an XS400 without electrical issues?:banghead:

Sounds like u have some bare wiress that touch. brst bet is uave a buddy compress forks n see if you can find wires touching something they shouldn't. or just inspect for bare, broken, or damaged wiring. and the headlight thing sounds like someone wired something wrong. almost like your coil is run through your headlight lol.:wtf:

Posted via Mobile

yea just open the bike up and start looking for bad wiring. I really hate electrics as well, really not my strong suit, but every time I have to do something electric on the xs or somewhere else, I ask myself why I was such a b*tch about it. It's all pretty simple stuff when you get around to it. Something rusted, a broken wire, corroded buttons and switches, bear wires that short somewhere, that's the stuff you'll find and they're all easy to fix

The bad part is that everything is new on the bike, no rust nothing extra, striped down to its component parts. No starter, horn, kickstand light, no tach, just a speedo with no illumination. Head light, brake/tail, and four turn signals, fuse box is new with updated fuses, wires are new. I may have traced it to the Ballistic 8 cell battery. It won't take a charge. It won't even hook up correctly to the battery tender. I'll try a new battery today and see where that gets me. Thanks for the replies.

Back