blinker issue

TOM SCHANNE

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started working on my project 81 XS400HS again and now having an issue with the blinkers not working correctly. With the bike running and battery fully charged (according to my Battery Tender) only the rear blinkers come on but do not blink when either side is switched on. I'm only getting a solid light in the back and the fronts don't light at all. I cleaned the handlebar switch well with contact cleaner and WD40 but that didn't help. I also replaced the flasher with a good OEM unit I bought here from another member but that didn't help.
Last year when I started restoring the bike the blinkers were functioning normally then they just stopped working properly. I did replace the old rusty blinkers with clean OEM units and pretty confident the grounds are good and worked after they were replaced.
One odd thing I noticed last night was with the bike running and blinker switch on and I give a good hard tap on the flasher the rear blinker will flash once and I can hear the contact in the flasher spring open.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

TIA

Update and problem found
I took the headlight out to access the grounds for the blinkers to make sure they were clean and found that I had the left blinker plugged into an extra female ground lead. Once I plugged it into the correct remaining 12v lead all was good. Apparently both front and back blinkers need to be wired correctly and bulbs good in order for the flasher to work, otherwise you get a solid light on a single blinker.
As far as the right blinker not working, it was a bad bulb.
All is well now.

Back